Finally got my F100!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow4me

Nov 24, 2008
S/E Michigan
Can't wait to get it fired up! Got my Sellkirk class "A" stainless today also, two 4ft sections that I am going to use inside. I think the polished stainless steel looks great inside but it's expensive! I am disappointed though, both pipes are all marked up and they have creases in them here and there. I know this stuff is for outside but I wish I could find some better quality pipe for inside. Any ideas? Hope you like it!

Attachments

• thanksgiving 08.jpg
    thanksgiving 08.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Cute stove. I came close to buying one off of Craigslist, but it was a bit of a drive for me.

Any particular reason you are going to use Class A chimney inside?

Snow,

Congrats on your new Jotul F100 baby! Post photos as the install process progresses.

There is nothing like a new stove!

Cheers

Congratulations. Use the class A pipe from the ceiling, through the roof. It is not meant to connect the stove. Note you need to stick with one brand for pipe. Use single or double wall Selkirk pipe for the connector. It will look sharp with black pipe.

I've been burning my F100 for five winters now and love it. Any questions, just ask!

Thanks for the comments guys! I am using the class A inside also because I can go straight through the roof and just have a cover plate to hide the gap. Also, I thought it would look classy with the knotty pine walls. The wifey is going back to the store today to see if they will let her pick through some other class A and find some with out any creases, at least on the front side. Is there any reason I shouldn't be running this class A inside other than cost? I think it looks neat.????

Daryl

I get a lot of extra heating off my double walled pipe in my living room. You will get less of this with insulated Class A pipe.

I have a Jotul Model 8 in a hearth installation and am running a 24" length of 7" dia Heat-Fab 304SS singlewall pipe as my horizontal (almost) run out the back and into the fireplace. Got it from Hart's Hearth (advertiser here I think?), but probably many places can get it.

I have to say that for something as humble as a piece of pipe it is a beatuifully made product; the machine work and welding are visually perfect and the outside has a light matte polish that you can see reflections in (though you couldn't exactly shave or read with it) ...and no blemishes. I don't have enough experience with stovepipe to award it the 'Snap-On Tool' award for functional art... but I'd probably nominate it.

The stainless does look nice, but do be advised of two things, one is that stainless will gradually take on a light golden straw color due to heat... at least my singlewall, running on my old pre-EPA stove that puts out 1000F stack temps, did. (Maybe your F100 would be more efficient.) The other is that stainless has remarkably low thermal conductivity and also (in common with most polished metals) low infrared emissivity... so there's not a lot of heat re-capture with this pipe. My IR thermometer sees it as 250F even after 750F smoke has been going through it for an hour. In my installation, with marginal clearance to a wood mantel and a short chimney with low draft, I don't mind keeping the room a little cooler and the flue gas a little hotter until I dump it in the chimney. You might or might not want/need that extra heating surface represented by your vertical run of inside pipe.

I'll also be interested to hear your installation and fire-up experiences with the F100 so please update this thread... I have my eye on either the F100 but more likely the F3 as a future replacement for my Model 8.

Eddy

As already said, you are going to lose some heat using Class A chimney. That may not matter to you. Single or double wall black stove pipe will look very good on your stove. It's my opinion, but I think the stainless steel chimney will look very large and overwhelming on a small stove like your Jotul. Perhaps not. Eddy mentioned the Heat-Fab. I have one 70" adjustable piece of 22 gauge Heat-Fab pipe on my stove and it looks very good. I bought it here:

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/blk622pipe.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.