Finally got the beech done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Big Chris

Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
Been working on this beech tree for the last 2 weeks, i got a little over 2 cords up I think. It'll be used next dec/feb. Feels good to have some new stacks up !!! I've burned it in the past, hope it burns as hot as I remember.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 284
Looking good, curious as to why you chose to leave it in rounds and not at least halve it? I've never burned any beech, just trying to learn. Or is the last pic of it split?

Well done. I've found beech to be hard to cut, so 2 cords is a job!

I usually just cut & stack the "branches" ,anything less than 4-5 in stuff . Anything bigger gets the splitter. The rounds actually burn a touch longer from what I found. Do u guys split the limbs ? Thanks

To clarify, one pic is the bigger stuff split, with a little dead standing red oak mixed in. The other pic is all the limbs then on the end of that more bigger stuff split... It's in a spot that gots full sun and plenty of air all summer . Beech drys quick for a high btu wood from my past experience... Hopefully I'm remembering correctly haha

I don't split the smaller limb...waste of time IMO. And it does burn longer.

Beech is around me here but I don't get too much of it, but I remember back in 1998 I got one that was fallen in the woods over rocks and hills and it took me 75 steps to get each round to my truck and trailer, but I so wanted to try it so I half killed myself but was glad I did, it burned great! Always reminds me of elephant skin!

Nice work, enjoy!!

Reactions: Dtcryan
Thank you gentlemen, feeling good getting ahead of things again.

It just makes things so much simpler when you are ahead of the game, but unfortunately sometimes it takes getting behind to remember and appreciate that lol!

What did u think of the beech compared to other woods ? I Haven't burned much of it, it's usually rots out fast once fallen. I got this from a friend who took a healthy one down. The bark is sure a delight in the work area though

I burn tons of beech (literally--the stuff is heavy), and really like it. It burns hot and long, not quite hickory, but you won't be cold burning beech! It can be tough to split by hand, but I manage. It is often so big that I just have to bust up the rounds where they fall to get them back to the truck.

What about the quantity of ash when burned.. is it alot
I think it is on par with other hard woods--never really noticed much of a difference. It coals up well and is good for an overnight burn.

I have a beech that I need to take down. I had it trimmed 3 years ago and the top half of the tree has died. I've heard that beech rots quickly if not split soon after felling. Do you think the dead section will be rotten?

I think it is on par with other hard woods--never really noticed much of a difference. It coals up well and is good for an overnight burn.

Just wondering. I have an opportunity for some beech. I like burning oak as it is less ash. The hickory i burn produces alot more ash so i was trying to see if i was a large ash maker..

Just wondering. I have an opportunity for some beech. I like burning oak as it is less ash. The hickory i burn produces alot more ash so i was trying to see if i was a large ash maker..

We had some lovely beech this year. It burned nicely and wasn't messy to handle, but we did think that there was more ash when our loads were heavy on beech. (We burn mostly red oak.). We haven't burned significant hickory, so I can't compare to that.

I don't think the amount of ash would dissuade me from getting beech if it otherwise seemed like a good opportunity. We live in a suburban city, though, so we take what's readily available for the most part. I would be happy to find another beech.

We had some lovely beech this year. It burned nicely and wasn't messy to handle, but we did think that there was more ash when our loads were heavy on beech. (We burn mostly red oak.). We haven't burned significant hickory, so I can't compare to that.

I don't think the amount of ash would dissuade me from getting beech if it otherwise seemed like a good opportunity. We live in a suburban city, though, so we take what's readily available for the most part. I would be happy to find another beech.

Thanks for your reply
I am in a rural area so i have alot of wood offered to me. I can be a little bit picky if i want. I am also sitting on 12 cords now, so i only would be looking for a certain type of hardwood, clean, low ash, easy to obtain. I am at the point that i just dont want to put just anything in the remaining area i have left

Ash isn't a big concern for me, since I have a long driveway and am often wishing I had more ash to spread in the winter months. I primarily have beech and hemlock on my property, so I rely on the beech in the cold months and hemlock for the shoulder season.