Finally replaced my Osburn Regent 1500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mech e

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2019
NorCal
www.dtengineer.com
I wanted to replace our 1988 Osburn Regent 1500 with an EPA 2020 certified stove. I was always very happy with the performance of the Osburn and leaned strongly towards the Osburn 2000. After a little research I changed my mind and went with the Drolet Escape 1800. I think it is basically the same stove for less than half the price. It only took about an hour to swap the stoves (the Osburn is headed to my daughter and son-in-law for more years of service) and am very pleased with the stove design and build quality.

Now I just need to get used to using one of these new EPA stoves. Overall, the draw and fires are more lethargic than the old stove. Once I get the stove up to temp, it throws out plenty of heat and is overall using less wood. I am very happy with the performance. I just need to retrain myself in using one of these newer designs to get the most out of it.

If anyone has any pointers, threads, or links that may help, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Congratulations. There is a learning curve with almost any new stove. It sounds like you are getting a good start. It will burn differently and be a bit more particular about burning well seasoned wood. In return you will get more heat using less wood. One thing you may have noticed is that with dry wood the stove gets hotter as the air is turned down. This is because when the primary air is reduced, the draft starts pulling air through the secondary tubes. This creates a more efficient and complete combustion and more heat, plus a nice fire show.

Congratulations. There is a learning curve with almost any new stove. It sounds like you are getting a good start. It will burn differently and be a bit more particular about burning well seasoned wood. In return you will get more heat using less wood. One thing you may have noticed is that with dry wood the stove gets hotter as the air is turned down. This is because when the primary air is reduced, the draft starts pulling air through the secondary tubes. This creates a more efficient and complete combustion and more heat, plus a nice fire show.

Yes, I have noticed the stove getting hotter when I reduce the air intake and can see the secondary combustion. I get much more beautiful fires with this new stove. I am having a bit of trouble not getting smoke in the room when I open the door to add wood or remove ash. I think I may be opening the door before the coal bed has burned down a bit more, but still trying to sort this out. Any tips on this appreciated as well.

Try opening the air control first, be sure the blower is off, then open the door just a little and let pressure equalize, then open slowly.

Try opening the air control first, be sure the blower is off, then open the door just a little and let pressure equalize, then open slowly.

I will give this a try. I think this smoke problem has a lot to do with the stove's ability to keep the heat in the Firefox better. Speaking of blowers, I have never had one in the 40 years I have been heating my homes with wood. Are they a worthwhile investment?