Finally took the plunge: bought a Morso 2B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paulmlemay

Oct 30, 2016
Northern California
I've been thinking that I never use my fireplace, and I want to try a woodstove. I know, I'm nuts, everyone says so.
My plan is to mostly burn compressed wood blocks, the ones that are like big wood pellets. Lower emissions, less smoke.
I live in Coastal California. It's not going to be my primary source of heat. Maybe it will lower my gas bill, maybe it will break even.

Anyway, I also like to simmer a bit of stew because I love cooking.

I bought a Morso 2B. It was on clearance because it had to sell by mid May because the new EPA standards is coming in.
I think it looks good. And the little enameled pot on top fits nice, because I bought the short legs.
morso2b_d.jpg

Looks great! I have a 2B Classic.

I've had this stove since January and very happy with it. I've used mostly Bio Bricks and they work very well with this stove. My impression is the bricks perform more efficiently than cord wood (kiln and air dried). It seems secondary burns are better with bricks, the brand I use anyway. Can anyone comment on whether the Classic is 2020 compliant? The OP is saying the Standard is not? I wonder what the difference between the two is re compliance?
oliver and oreo.JPG

Reactions: SpaceBus
I don't think my classic is 2020 compliant either. Personally I like seasoned hardwood over bio bricks in my Morso. The bricks burn too hot too fast for my liking.

So the signature Morso stove is no longer available in the U.S.? That is a shame imo. I guess I'll have to take extra care of this one. I typically burned 7-10 pm, more on weekends. So a quick and hot fire works best for me overall.

I am quite certain the 2B standard is not 2020 EPA compliant. I got a note from the US importer that they are expecting a new 2B model in August which is 2020 EPA compliant. That's why I got a $400 discount on the 2019 model. EPA 2020 Guidelines require all wood burning products to produce less than 2.5 g/hr in particulate matter. In 2015 the previous guidelines required less than 4.5 g/hr

I think it's the 2.5 grams which is hard to hit. I think the 2B emits about 3.9 according to the EPA's database.

I've had this stove since January and very happy with it. I've used mostly Bio Bricks and they work very well with this stove. My impression is the bricks perform more efficiently than cord wood (kiln and air dried). It seems secondary burns are better with bricks, the brand I use anyway. Can anyone comment on whether the Classic is 2020 compliant? The OP is saying the Standard is not? I wonder what the difference between the two is re compliance?
View attachment 259832
What brand do you use? I've been using mostly madrone or fir in mine, which I just bought last spring

What brand do you use? I've been using mostly madrone or fir in mine, which I just bought last spring

I have the classic, so mostly the same, and I burn almost exclusively fir and spruce. We used Bio Brick brand compressed sawdust bricks our first winter, but I don't miss them. I bet the NIEL product probably works better for our small long stoves. On long cold nights I'll dip into my small stash of sugar maple and white birch, and usually I'll have coals some 8-12 hours after a full load of said hardwoods. If we had white oak or madrone I would be thrilled!

Bio Bricks is the brand name, a CT company. Though they've had sawdust supply problems this year, and are not available for time being. But, Bio Blocks, an Ohio company, is now being distributed locally. I was told the guy who started producing the Bricks in CT is connected with the Blocks in OH. Per websites both are 100% compressed hardwood, no fillers. Dead Ash trees are all over the place here in CT. I burn that as well.