finally up and burning with my russo 1 question on damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piponss

Dec 14, 2014
long island, ny
ok guys just want to say thank you to everyone who's dedicated to helping others.....
My stove is up and burning and its going great except one thing .. i can't seem to get this thing dialed down without having smoke coming from chimney pipe ( little white smoke )
when i dial it down i feel like I'm choking it and smothering it out but at the same time i get a nice creepy burn in my stove on top how do i get that nice burn without the smoke as i know smoke is not burning right

i hope i got that right but any suggestions would be well appreciate it

Where are you getting smoke from? and what damper are you referring to the stove air control or a stove pipe damper?

Oh ok i though that you were talking about smoke spillage into the house. Now that i know what you are talking about what types of temperatures are you running at on the pipe and stove top? What type of wood and at what moisture content? When and how far are you shutting down the air

ok i don't know what temp I'm running at cause i don't have a thermometer but i guess ill get one of those,, I'm burning pretty well seasoned oak,,and when i start the fire i let it burn hot for a good 30 min then start dialing down

you need a thermometer for sure. I actually recommend 2 one for the pipe one for the stove top. And what do you mean by pretty well seasoned?

been drying out for a year
why is there a way to tell if its fully dry or something
do you think i have wet wood

but it can't be because when the damper is all the way open i get blazing hot and no smoke out the stack

Well oak usually takes longer than a year so that could be the problem for sure and yes you can get a moisture meter to check it. But it is hard to give you much help without knowing the temperatures

Get some of the compressed wood blocks to try also to see if it is the wood. Also tell us about the whole setup what height and type chimney what type and length stove pipe how many elbows ect.

ok i have a 1980 russo 2wc stove , rear exhaust with damper for flu built in to 6 inch single wall tee right on the back , going up 3 feet then 45 forward with 2 foot piece into another 45 going up with another 1 foot piece to ceiling support ,, then 6 feet of class a pipe going thru roof to be 2 feet above anything 10 feet away

Well the chimney is pretty short for one thing but with that old stove i would think it would work. But if you are getting it to burn with just a little white smoke coming out that is not to bad for an old stove like that

Status
Not open for further replies.