Finally!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rakuz66 said:
Looks like a pitching wedge to that green from your shed.

You betcha rakuz66. I got tired of brushing off snow off those damn tarps every other week. This winter I will be able to send the wife out to fetch some wood :)

All,

Thanks for everyone's opinions, honestly. I am going home tonight and taking another look to make sure I have the right amount of support for the future loads that I might have in the Woodshed. I have time set aside the next 3-4 days on this build so I will keep you all posted.

Blueflame75

The shed does look like its going to be great and I wish I had one instead of dealing with tarps. However those 2x6 @12 inch o.c. are rated at about 30 pounds per square foot live load and putting 7 cords of wood in there comes out at around 140-150 pounds per square foot live load. You may run into some problems with 7 cords in there.

[quote author="JayDogg" date="1318545312"]The shed does look like its going to be great and I wish I had one instead of dealing with tarps. However those 2x6 @12 inch o.c. are rated at about 30 pounds per square foot live load and putting 7 cords of wood in there comes out at around 140-150 pounds per square foot live load. You may run into some problems with 7 cords in there.[/quote

I don't think he ever said he wanted to put in 7 cords, but I also doubt being able to hold 7 cords as well.
Snow also weighs between 15-65lbs per cu/ft. Just to make sure you're considering all the weight it would have to put up with.
I am also going to chime in with more posts however.
But if you're not going to put more than 2-3 cords of wood in there evenly spread out, you should be fine probably.

The weight per sq/ft is more like 250lb sq/ft unlike posted above... that's for dry weight!
I imagine it would be loaded with wet wood at first!

blueflame75 said:
All,

Thanks for everyone's opinions, honestly. I am going home tonight and taking another look to make sure I have the right amount of support for the future loads that I might have in the Woodshed. I have time set aside the next 3-4 days on this build so I will keep you all posted.

Blueflame75

Your not far off. Double a 2x6 going across the joists tied into 4x4 and 2 4x4 in the middle of the other 2 sides. If your going to store other stuff in the other half its good. Lots of other ways to beef it up as well but with the least amount of lumbar that what I would do. (Its a bullet proof shed) Just have to adjust for a massive load. Like 6 good size trees. lol

Very nice. The tarp thing got old for me too & that's why I now have a roof over the wood.
Very nice. You are going to love it.
Maybe pallets under the wood to help distribute weight, protect the floor from years of abuse & increase air circulation.

bogydave said:
Very nice. The tarp thing got old for me too & that's why I now have a roof over the wood.
Very nice. You are going to love it.
Maybe pallets under the wood to help distribute weight, protect the floor from years of abuse & increase air circulation.

+1... I agree. You dont want to ruin the plywood floor by having the firewood in direct contact, plus, with pallets, you will get MUCH better air circulation throughout.

So, I decided and knew when I got the floor framed up and built that I would have to sure up the floor. I will be running double 2x6 beam under the floor joists the length of the shed at 10'+10'=20', tied into 4x4 post. At most I will only have 4cords in this shed.

+1, great job,one heck of a nice looking shed. Love to see how it turns out!

It is going to be a nice looking shed. I wish I had gotten to mine this fall but got busy doing other things as usual. Oh well 1 more year dealing with tarps i guess.

JayDogg said:
It is going to be a nice looking shed. I wish I had gotten to mine this fall but got busy doing other things as usual. Oh well 1 more year dealing with tarps i guess.

Dude, I know what you mean. Between work, taking care of the family, typical chores that need to get done after work, getting dark earlier, leaves me with Sat or Sun if nothing else is going on. November 6th of last year I had snow falling, so I am under the gun right now. Good luck with them tarps :)

Good luck with the build.

FWIW here's a couple of floor joist span tables from the American Wood Council for a 30 psf live load with a 20 psf dead load, and a 60 psf live load with a 20 psf dead load. Even using the very highest grade lumber at 16" OC, the maximum span is 9' 9" for a 60 psf live load. Furthermore, it is more likely that your lumber is in the middle grade, around 1.6 million psi, so the max span for a 60 psf live load then is only 8' 6". Good, seasoned hardwood stacked 4' high will exert about 100 psf live load, exceeding your design load by 40 psf, almost double what your intended usage calls for.

Using utility-grade lumber at a modulus of 1.2 million psi, your proposed shed floor can only withstand 30 psf... about 1/3 the weight of oak stacked 4' high in there.

Attachments

• Floor Joist Spans.png
    Floor Joist Spans.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 164
Status
Not open for further replies.