Find Tri-axle Polewood Firewood In SW PA (Uniontown)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
Okay so I have not been on the forum for a couple years now. My englander 3000 sq ft furnace is doing great I have a three year supply that I rotate. But after last winter I looked around my property and well, I scrounged mostly everything up.

I am trying to find a grapple tri-axle load near uniontown pa but my results only find "frye lumber company" but for about 6 cords they are charging $780 delivered. Heck at that price I be better off buying it split.

I would like to buy by the grapple cause I already have the chainsaws and splitter. Goal was to save money buying by the triaxle load but looks like wont save that much money after all??

Can anyone help me or give advice where to find a place. I tried Craigslist yellow-pages, Facebook and word of mouth but still no luck. Thanks!!!!!

Okay so I have not been on the forum for a couple years now. My englander 3000 sq ft furnace is doing great I have a three year supply that I rotate. But after last winter I looked around my property and well, I scrounged mostly everything up.

I am trying to find a grapple tri-axle load near uniontown pa but my results only find "frye lumber company" but for about 6 cords they are charging $780 delivered. Heck at that price I be better off buying it split.

I would like to buy by the grapple cause I already have the chainsaws and splitter. Goal was to save money buying by the triaxle load but looks like wont save that much money after all??

Can anyone help me or give advice where to find a place. I tried Craigslist yellow-pages, Facebook and word of mouth but still no luck. Thanks!!!!!

How much land do you have? 3 acres will support one home if managed properly. With a three year supply built up you should have no reason to buy if you have that much land.

have you tried tree services? since you are willing to pay there may be someone that could deliver you rounds for closer to $100/cord. alot of folks get free wood from tree services. paying customers may a have a little more say in cut length and wood type. there are a couple websites that set up woodchip deliveries from tree services. wood is also an option on these sites and another form of waste of a tree service.

To the first comment I have 8 acres and all of the dead trees (Standing or on the ground) got me five years worth off of my property. I do not cut any tree that is standing and isn't rotted or damaged cause i want to keep my property wooded.

I did try local tree service and no luck. But i did place an order I got a grapple load for $500 and it should give me about 5 cords he said. Here is the strange thing though. They offered a grapple with large diameter logs about 24" for $500 and a grapple load with small diameter logs up to 12" for $650 and these prices included delivery. Why would the smaller log load cost more because my logic was that there is more air space thus less wood but it costs more? Seemed strange to me?

I think the smaller logs are more valuable due to firewood processors have a limited diameter and so do chippers used to process pulp. I have heard that the smaller 12" logs are prime for firewood since they are easy to handle with a skidsteer and process quickly.

To your eight acres, I would recommend reading up on forestry management. There are different ways to manage a forest depending on desired outcome. Wether your looking to market timber 30yrs down the line, wildlife cover/habitat, firewood harvesting, or simple beauty.

To the first comment I have 8 acres and all of the dead trees (Standing or on the ground) got me five years worth off of my property. I do not cut any tree that is standing and isn't rotted or damaged cause i want to keep my property wooded.
If you are managing for firewood, the rule of thumb is that you can get a cord per acre per year from timber, forever.

You should be able to find enough that is dead, dying, crooked, over-crowded, over-grown, wind-blown, etc to keep you in firewood.

By removing the large trees and reducing over-crowding, you are opening up the forest floor for the next generation of trees to grow. This assumes that you haven't cleared out the understory, that your woodlot is fairly mature, etc.

agree with above, you should be able to get 3-4/yrcords off your land and actually improve the forest. ( many sources of info how to do this).

Visited one of my biggest customers in Uniontown many times when I was in industrial sales.

Miss them AND the wedding soup at Angelinas

Reactions: 04HemiRam2500
Well I own 8 acres of that only 6.5 are wooded. Plus the trees on my property are massive and straight cherry, red oak, and silver maple and nothing has been touched since the 1940s. When I got into the wood cutting and firewood hetaing I was not afraid to cut 24" diameter trees but I do not cut anything that isnt dead. So I can see how cutting the tall trees leads to new ones growing but it isn't worth it to me. I got five years maybe little more out of dead and standing dead trees so I am content with that! If they are standing dead or have fallen they are mine!!!! chainsaw-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: Longstreet
I did try local tree service and no luck. But i did place an order I got a grapple load for $500 and it should give me about 5 cords he said. Here is the strange thing though. They offered a grapple with large diameter logs about 24" for $500 and a grapple load with small diameter logs up to 12" for $650 and these prices included delivery. Why would the smaller log load cost more because my logic was that there is more air space thus less wood but it costs more? Seemed strange to me?

you can get more weight on a triaxle stuffed full with small diameter logs, than a log of big huge sawlogs/veneer... less air space with the small polewood. . . . there's your price difference. also the big logs might be what we call ''metal logs'' from the sawmill. . . . those are the ones that our metal detector kicks out of the system before then go into the sawmill building to be processed. . . you may want to check into that? I know we sell off our metal logs for firewood at a discount price

Cherry on my property are always dying off and falling over/breaking in storms. Not the greatest BTUs but smells wonderful while burning

I've done a few log truck loads between myself, friends and family, the normal yield is between 6-7 cords, the one guy in my neck of the woods charges 450 for mixed load, 550 for a specific load (only oak, or maple, or ash) and if you ask for large diameter stuff +20" rounds he'll drop the price to $400, he's very fair and reasonable. I think I've done something like 8 trucks loads with him.

I pay 750 a load and it usually comes out to 7 cords. They're advertising split firewood here at 200/cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.