Finding a contractor to install a ZC wood fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarity

Sep 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I swear I have impossible luck with contractors. I am trying to find a local contractor that installs fireplaces. I have had one person come over to take a look, he hasn't contacted me back and it has been about a week. Another guy was going to take a look and he never called me back to arrange a time. Also lots of no responses, when I called and left a message. I have been using homeadvisor.com to search for contractors, though I have not had luck with them. Most of the places I search for on the internet sell fireplaces and sub out their work to contractors, though the fireplace I want is not being sold locally. Do some don't want to deal with you if you don't buy local?

I have done a lot of DIY, though I really don't have the time or interest anymore to do projects like this in any good time frame.

You think in this economy people would jump at the chance for work...

Most guys doing chimney work now are really busy i know we are sceduling mid december now and most other guys i know are about the same. Not a good time to try to get chimney work done at all

Maybe they're doing you a favor by saving you the future headaches of a zero clearance unit.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I'm referring to all the posts here about what inserts will fit a ZC and whether or not it's even OK to do such an installation.

That's a completely different kind of installation. The discussions are about EPA-approved fireplace inserts IN a (builder-grade) ZC fireplace. What the OP is trying to do is installing an EPA-approved ZC fireplace in a spot in his home. Such a fireplace will be as efficient as a wood stove or fireplace insert. There will be no need to put anything else in there (other than wood, of course).

Reactions: oconnor and bholler
Again, I've learned something from hearth.com.
Please disregard my previous posts.

My 2 cents...if I knew how bad a ZC FP was I would not have had my builder install one... Yes there are better ones then what was installed but if I'm you I would look at a stove. Much better heat...for down the road.

There are very goo zero clearance stoves out there not fireplaces at all but high efficency stoves that give off allot of heat

I won't disagree bholler...but my experience have not been good....could be the builder grade ZC but when you need cold air from the outside to cool them just not that efficent to me...had to light a fire just to keep the cold air out. Again It's over 15 years old and I'm sure there are better ones. Starting fresh I would put in a stove...IMHO.

There is a big world of difference from a cheap ZC unit and a modern EPA ZC fireplace that is designed to heat. A well placed freestanding stove is wonderful for heating, but some folks really want a fireplace. Units from Kozy, BIS, Valcourt, Flame, Quadrafire, FPX etc.. are serious heaters and some have the option of ducting the heat which a stove does not.

has everything to do with quality of install. My company loses a lot of bids because of price.......but we get the total redo 3 years later to solve the drafts and put in a quality unit

Status
Not open for further replies.