Finding a replacement grip for maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolmar7900

Dec 22, 2013
Whitewater Wisconsin
I just bought a 15lb. maul on craigslist but it does not have the rubber/shock absorbing slip on rubber handle. Without the grip the metal pipe is very slick and you have to hold very tight to keep it from flying out of your hands.
I've looked into shock absorbing grip tape but I'm afraid it will come off very easily with all the force applied to handle. Does anyone know anywhere I can find a replacement rubber grip? Or any other options?

Look into plasti dip, you can get it in a spray can and put multiple coats on it, I've used it on many other hand tools, but not a maul.

Hockey tape, Best stuff going for tool grips.

If you wrap some wire in a spiral on the handle of the tool before you wrap it with the tape it will help you get an even better grip.

x2 sports tape. Go tape alone and test it before wrapping the wire. It may be just fine and any added undulations can be hand hell over time as you hammer away all day. Smooth is best if it provides the grip you want/need.

Also, starting some tape and twisting the role to create a tight round that you wrap will work like the wire with a little cushion - just run a layer of tape over it. Think barber pole

Rustoleum made (or makes) a product called Grip & Guard. I used it on my maul handle and it's trouble-free. Just enough to make a non-slip surface but still be able to slide a gloved hand when you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.