finding wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
saw a similar recent thread about procuring wood - great info that i hadn't thought of. a couple questions i would love input on:
1> any idea how i would find a logging contractor that would sell an entire load of logs to me? many of them only go straight to the mill.
2> approximately how many cords might this yield (tractor trailer load, i guess)
3> i know everything varies regionally, wonder what i would expect to pay (as a % of the already cut/split stuff)

i love bucking/splitting/stacking - i just don't have the transportation equipment i need to pull it out of the woods.

If you have room to get a log load that would be the way to go. In Maryland I do not know anything. In Washington we have lots of self loading log trucks, usualy about 8 cords on average, $650-$800/ load. All pricing depends on distance, species, quantity, and who you know....

You need to search where you search for anything locally/regionally...newspaper, tree guys, craigslist...

yeah i got plenty of room. Just not sure how to find a logger. google is pretty worthless (most of those guys don't publish a number as a logger). Nursery/garden shops have guys - but because they sell cut/split only (retail), no way they'll share their info with me.

If you have 8 acres - how much is wooded? Perhaps it might be worth your while to invest in equipment to make use of your own wood on site. I wonder if you could drop a bunch of trees and rent a tractor for a few days to pull the wood out. Cheers!

Looking for a logger, I would scout out my local Chainsaw dealer/TSC/Farm Equipment dealer/ yellow pages for Excavating contractors who do Lot clearing. Shouldn't be that hard to find somebody--good luck.

Mainstation - great ideas, i'll look up excavators/lot clearing. Yellow pages (and online) for loggers doesn't work too well.
NH_Wood - i have some trees but not much is worthwhile...most of the 8 acres had been cleared some 20yrs ago and mostly junk trees remain. only a handful of oaks and maples and i hate to drop them.

Bostock, for sure check at chain saw dealers. Maybe a tire store that sells big truck tires. For sure if you see one, you might follow him to his working site and then ask questions. One might even find a truck at a gas station. Ask the driver.

Getting logs like this can be very good. It is easy to saw up the logs and you have no brush to contend with and no limbing to do. You might also think strongly about buying a cant hook for handling the logs. It makes the job much, much easier. Good luck.

It is funny and no insult to you but our DNR and state forest office is a joke. You make any comment about doing anything other than looking off the road and the answer is NO! They will not let you do anything and Washington has more forest lands than almost any other state, those with actual trees.

Yellow pages, google search, ask the local mills, etc to find a logger.
Ask them if they can set aside wood not good enough for the mills.
And for a smoking good deal to deliver it to you at their convenience.
If you are willing to take a mixed load of size and species, and delivered when they have time, some great deals can be had.
As for load size, depends on number of axles the truck has, road restrictions at the time, and how full the operator wants to load it.
Could be 1 cord or 20 cords, no real way except to ask the logger how many cords to expect on his truck when it arrives at your yard.

I get all my wood delivered in logging truck loads, I cut to length, and scoop up with my bobcat, and dump it in piles in an otherwise unused barn that was on the property when I bought it.

RNLA said:
It is funny and no insult to you but our DNR and state forest office is a joke. You make any comment about doing anything other than looking off the road and the answer is NO! They will not let you do anything and Washington has more forest lands than almost any other state, those with actual trees.

The link gives you contacts for all the various forest products operators (in MD) by county. Really has nothing to do with State land as it list loggers, sawmills, firewood dealers, etc...

Give a call to some tree guys in your area. I don't know how your town is or near by towns, but here in NJ the tree folks need to pay to dump. They would rather have someone like you whom would take the wood for free. If so, all you would have to do is show them the area they can dump. Give it a shot...you would be amazed at how many tree people are willing to hook you up.

Happy New Year!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.