Fines ... silly me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
I know what "Fines" are, or I think I do. You are talking about pellet dust in the bags. I know it goes into my hopper, but it has never been an issue and my instructions only mention fines when trouble shooting excessive debris on the glass, the black soot and one possible cause is excessive fines and the remedy is try other pellets. What got me looking was folks here saying to clean fines, I have no place to accumulate so I used to think y'all meant ash, but then I read about fines in bags, so I figured "pellet dust" which I have burned with pellets for near 30 years. I can clean ash from the burn pot. My pellets just get pushed horizontally by one auger, fines too, into the burn pot as far as I can tell, I know some feed pellets up hill to then drop down a pipe to the fire, maybe that accumulates fines that miss the auger trip?

I did see a line about a pusher block, guess that's like a "gateway to the auger ride" there in the feed unit, like to just open when the auger turns. but I've never had it apart and it makes no noises, yet they say lube it after disassembly. I recall many years ago the one time a guy came to service it (he said needed a TC which VC sent as warranty, but I swapped it in) ... he said don't mess with it unless it is noisy (or so my note in paperwork says). I guess I will attempt to do that come spring. Looking at exploded views, I see no mention of "pusher block" which kind of supports the leave it be notion I think.

From what I understand, the issue with fines is that they will clog the auger in some stoves. My first experience with a pellet stove was in 2012 when someone I knew got a new King stove, burning Kirtland pellets. The auger started squealing and sticking before 1/2 ton was burned due to fines buildup. A few years later I burned probably 6 or 7 ton of them, plus pro pellets for the last 3 years, and never had an issue with fines. They just push through and burn normally.

Reactions: tbear853
harmans have a "fines" box which is inside the stove ...
collect those "sawdust particles" that fall thru from the hopper to the auger..
slideplate opens up to drop pellets to the auger and fines will drop also.
harmans are bottom feeder[push pellets forward] so not so much a problem with them.
just a metal plate door with a wing nut holding it on.
remove door and a buildup of fines are inside there which get vacuumed up ...
most usually clean it out every once in a while.. I clean it out every couple months..

Last edited:
Reactions: tbear853