finished off my poplar tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
My little stihl 170 is broke down at the moment(its bogging down alot. I think i may need a sprocket and/or a bar) so I borrowed my brothers jonesred 20". Man that thing cuts good, may have to give them a look when I get my new saw. They are made by Husqvarna right? Anyway, I battled a heat advisory this afternoon and finished the trunk off. I think I'll save the splitting for a much cooler day(even though it should split like butter). Who else is ready for fall?

20140824_180934.jpg

duckman, I'm sure you know, but maybe some don't, I'd make sure not to leave the rounds standing on end while they are waiting to be split. They will pull ground water thru the end grain like a sponge. I have some 20" yellow pine rounds that were cut last winter, i'm about ready to split them and see what the moisture meter reads. Like you, sometimes you got to cut, but don't have time to split, these rounds have been kept under a shed, so it'll be interesting to compare against some of the same wood that was spilt. Hell, it's something for an old man to do, pitiful as that might be.;em

Reactions: kukuna
Check the air filter on the saw. Had a similar issue until I realized I hadn't cleaned it in quite awhile. HUGE difference once I installed a new one! There may also be a fuel filter on the fuel pick up line in the tank that may need changing.

Reactions: Applesister
duckman, I'm sure you know, but maybe some don't, I'd make sure not to leave the rounds standing on end while they are waiting to be split. They will pull ground water thru the end grain like a sponge. I have some 20" yellow pine rounds that were cut last winter, i'm about ready to split them and see what the moisture meter reads. Like you, sometimes you got to cut, but don't have time to split, these rounds have been kept under a shed, so it'll be interesting to compare against some of the same wood that was spilt. Hell, it's something for an old man to do, pitiful as that might be.;em

I already turned them over. I was gonna go ahead and split them but a storm blew in. Thanks though

Check the air filter on the saw. Had a similar issue until I realized I hadn't cleaned it in quite awhile. HUGE difference once I installed a new one! There may also be a fuel filter on the fuel pick up line in the tank that may need changing.

air filter was good but I didn't even know there was a fuel filter on it. I'll sure check it out.

Yeah, it sure has been steamy here lately, low 90s and not much breeze. Probably about the same there. But if a front does come through, I'll get relief before you do. If that sprocket is chewed up enough it will bog the saw down, happened to my neighbor. How easily does the chain pull around the bar by hand (when the saw is off, of course.) :oops:

Well the poplar is c/s/s. I probably added 10% to the moisture of the wood from my brow, man its hot and sticky. I cut some small and some big. It'll be used for kindling and quick, small fires.
20140831_142029.jpg
20140831_145607.jpg

Yeah, it sure has been steamy here lately, low 90s and not much breeze. Probably about the same there. But if a front does come through, I'll get relief before you do. If that sprocket is chewed up enough it will bog the saw down, happened to my neighbor. How easily does the chain pull around the bar by hand (when the saw is off, of course.) :oops:

It doesnt pull around it that good. I think thats my problem. Hey that wood i put out by my pond is looking lovely. I pulled out a few pieces from the middle of the stacks and it was anywhere between 15-20% from a fresh split. Glad i decided to put it out there.

Reactions: Woody Stover

air filter was good but I didn't even know there was a fuel filter on it. I'll sure check it out.
Check the spark arrestor screen inside the muffler. There should be two bolts (allen head if memory serves). Take them out, remove muffler and look at back side for the screen. Clean it up and reinstall - easy fix for a low power. Just in case the sprocket isn't the problem, and cheaper to check!

Check the spark arrestor screen inside the muffler. There should be two bolts (allen head if memory serves). Take them out, remove muffler and look at back side for the screen. Clean it up and reinstall - easy fix for a low power. Just in case the sprocket isn't the problem, and cheaper to check!

I'll definitely check that! Thanks

Be sure to check rubber fuel line between fuel tank and carb,my saw was bogging and hard starting warm if it stalled or i shut it off.fuel line was dry rotted terribly suprised fuel didnt spray out of it.replaced line and saw runs great now
pd $16 for line and filter,easy fix also

Status
Not open for further replies.