Finished splitting '14 - '15 wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Finished splitting today. With the mild winter, this will likely be 2014 - 2015 wood. Mostly red and white oak, but a little ash. Lady, my son's dog was helping :)

Attachments

• 2012 Spliting.jpg
    2012 Spliting.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 599
  • 2012 Spliting 2.jpg
    2012 Spliting 2.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 592
  • Lady_Log pile.jpg
    Lady_Log pile.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 594
Looking good, Chief. Haven't heard from you in a while, was wondering what you've been up to......

Scotty Overkill said:
Looking good, Chief. Haven't heard from you in a while, was wondering what you've been up to......
Oh, I'm OK, just trying to get along with this bad back. It is still healing and I wear down pretty bad by the end of the day, so don't seem to get on the forum much lately. I can split for about an hour and then I have to rest. Not griping, just saying. It has been 8 1/2 months and the Doc said it would be a year before we really know the outcome, so I am counting on things continuing to get better. :)

Hang in there bud...glad to hear you are continuing to get better, and I'm sure that it makes you feel good to get out and get after that wood. God bless ya bud and keep getting better. I'm on the tail end of my maple syrup season, today is gonna be my last day, just put the last of my sap in the pan in a couple hours we'll be all but finished....I'm wore out and need a break too!!

tfdchief said:
Finished splitting today. With the mild winter, this will likely be 2014 - 2015 wood. Mostly red and white oak, but a little ash. Lady, my son's dog was helping :)

Looks like some great btu's tfdchief, nice work. How have you been feeling?

zap

Glad to see you're getting it done! I'm way behind on my wood, I might actually order up a small log load to get caught back up to 3 or 4 years. I only cut a couple cord last year so I didn't even cut enough to replace what I burned in 10-11 and haven't had time to cut much for this year so I'm behind about 7 or 8 cord! Yikes! I think I'll have about 8 split and stacked after this season and couple cord to process but I'm still behind from having the 15-20 that I did before jacking up my back.

I should find some time to starting working on some down and standing dead stuff soon.......

Scotty Overkill said:
Hang in there bud...glad to hear you are continuing to get better, and I'm sure that it makes you feel good to get out and get after that wood. God bless ya bud and keep getting better. I'm on the tail end of my maple syrup season, today is gonna be my last day, just put the last of my sap in the pan in a couple hours we'll be all but finished....I'm wore out and need a break too!!
Thanks Scotty. Nothing wrong with taking breaks!

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

Looks like some great btu's tfdchief, nice work. How have you been feeling?

zap
Thanks Zap. I am doing OK. I still hurt a lot and wear down fast, but pretty much doing what I want......well, not what I used to, but that's OK too. :)

rdust said:
Glad to see you're getting it done! I'm way behind on my wood, I might actually order up a small log load to get caught back up to 3 or 4 years. I only cut a couple cord last year so I didn't even cut enough to replace what I burned in 10-11 and haven't had time to cut much for this year so I'm behind about 7 or 8 cord! Yikes! I think I'll have about 8 split and stacked after this season and couple cord to process but I'm still behind from having the 15-20 that I did before jacking up my back.

I should find some time to starting working on some down and standing dead stuff soon.......
rdust, I sure understand that! God was good to me this winter when I couldn't go at it like I used to.....it has been so mild I haven't burned that much, so I don't feel bad about not cutting so much. Take it easy as you try to get caught back up. Don't over do it.

Good for you, Chief! I haven't even got my '14/'15 wood all bucked up yet let alone split. Still lots of snow here and -15°C overnights.

LLigetfa said:
Good for you, Chief! I haven't even got my '14/'15 wood all bucked up yet let alone split. Still lots of snow here and -15°C overnights.
Thanks LLigetfa. I got a break with this mild winter, but it hasn't been without problems. I have never had so many cold starts. Usually a few in the fall and that's all. But this winter, it seems like at least one everyday. Almost wish it would have been colder......jikes, what did I just say.
I do still have some bucked wood in the woods, but the ground needs to be frozen to get in there and there haven't been many days with frozen ground this winter.

Nice pile of wood.
Slow & easy, it starts adding into a nice pile.
Nice to have help for sure :)

Careful when stacking, the twisting from side to side & bending over causes my back to act up.
Slow & steady with a few stretch breaks helps. Of course some Ibuprofen before & after ;)

Nice to be ahead eh??
Looks great.

bogydave said:
Nice pile of wood.
Slow & easy, it starts adding into a nice pile.
Nice to have help for sure :)

Careful when stacking, the twisting from side to side & bending over causes my back to act up.
Slow & steady with a few stretch breaks helps. Of course some Ibuprofen before & after ;)

Nice to be ahead eh??
Looks great.
Thanks bogydave. My back tells me for sure when I get carried away :smirk: That pile took me a lot longer than it used to, but that's OK, I am just glad I can do it.

Good looking heap-houzens!

An hour at a time is not bad at all! Might not win any races at that pace, but that you can still get the job done which is great. Glad to hear it.

pen

Steve, it was not that long ago you doubted that you'd ever get to do this work any more. Now you can see just how far you've came. Are you on top yet? Not by any stretch of the imagination but I'm betting you've raised a lot of eyebrows too as many thought you would not be able to do what you are doing. Keep the chin up and keep plodding along. You will work slower but still able to get the jobs done.

Good looking heap-houzens!

An hour at a time is not bad at all! Might not win any races at that pace, but that you can still get the job done which is great. Glad to hear it.

pen
Thanks Pen.
Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, it was not that long ago you doubted that you'd ever get to do this work any more. Now you can see just how far you've came. Are you on top yet? Not by any stretch of the imagination but I'm betting you've raised a lot of eyebrows too as many thought you would not be able to do what you are doing. Keep the chin up and keep plodding along. You will work slower but still able to get the jobs done.
Yes, you are right Dennis, I did doubt, and with the inspiration of people like you and so many others, I am doing well. As you said, not at the top of my game yet, but I am a happy man non the less. Many are amazed at my recovery and what I am doing, and some, of course, don't think I should be doing what I am. But I can't just sit around, that would kill me. Thanks, Steve

It's good to see you back up and running Steve . . . I assume you are back on the job as well . . . and if memory serves me right you also purchased or were planning on purchasing an UTV and getting back in the proverbial saddle.

firefighterjake said:
It's good to see you back up and running Steve . . . I assume you are back on the job as well . . . and if memory serves me right you also purchased or were planning on purchasing an UTV and getting back in the proverbial saddle.
Jake, Yes, I am back to work. And yes, I traded "the beast" for this. I feel a lot safer in it, it rides better, and will do everything the ATV could do and more.

Attachments

• Bad Lands the tunnel.jpg
    Bad Lands the tunnel.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 199
  • Pro Armor Drs3 edit.jpg
    Pro Armor Drs3 edit.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.