Finished the Lignetics, Now burning Barefoot.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDad320

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2008
NW New Jersey
I have burned through all my Lignetics this AM (2 tons). Now I am starting with Barefoot Pellets. The Barefoot are lighter in color, more consistant in length, seem to burn longer(I had to crank the feed rate way down as in all the way) and seem to throw off more heat. Fines seem about the same for both brands (very little). So far this heating season I have heated this 135+ year old, 2100+ sq ft with 10 ft ceilings with 90 / 95% with pellets. I usually have the downstairs at about 70 / 72* and the second floor (3 large bedrooms, large stairway with landing and bath) about 62 / 64*. I am very pleased with my results so far.

Attachments

• house_scott.jpg
    house_scott.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 522
I am heating with lignetics and energex . I prefer the lignetics seem to throw out more heat and less ash.Never tried barefoot let us know what you think of them.

Hey Baddad...your house looks awesome....looks like right out of a This Old House wrap party.....Nice!!

Interesting! I did Barefoot's first and now I am on the Lignetics.
Both burned very well, as far as the heat output I'm still not sure.
The ash produced in my Harman was a little different for each.
The barefoot's were a little more course ash and the Lignetics are a little finer.
Both have very little ash and fines, and I would purchase both again.

I just started burning Lignetics two days ago and I am super pleased with them....great heat, very low ash, and hardly any fines. As for the Appling County pellets.....all I can say is never again :coolmad:

Hey BadDad 320 . I see you are using a Thelin stove. What do you have your settings at? I know you said the feed rate was turned down but what about the blower speed? I just picked up a ton of Barefoot and plan on trying them this weekend. :wow:

I am trying to heat the whole house so for the most part, I am running full blast. Also..... I have to say that the Lignetics burned great and I would buy that brand again. I should mention that I do not have the stove in the room we spend the most time in. It is in the room next to that room. This accomplishes several things..... I can barely hear the stove run, I can use a higher heat setting, I can't hear the fans and my wife can still see the fire from her fainting couch in the tower area of the ajoining room.

I have my Thelin running on a Skytech 3301P thermostat. I run it
on medium with the feed rate turned all the way down as stated in
the manual. It works great and keeps the house toasty. I am using
Fireside Ultras right now which do clinker some, even with the
damper wide open. With Penningtons I never had a clinker, even with
damper closed down about half way. These are the only 2 brands I
have tried so far.

ebengel...... Someone told me that Brass Castle General Store on Brass Castle Road has a Thelin Parlour heating the store. I may have to stop by and play a game of checkers by the old pickle barrel and check out their setup..................

:roll: Hey Ebengel. You mentioned a damper on your stove. I have a Thelin purchased in 2005 and I dont beleive I have a damper. Where is it located on the stove or the chimeney? Also is yours auto ignition? Mine is not so it might be hard to put a t stat on it. I have been using the Green Supreme from NEWP And they seem to have pretty good heat. Checked the discharge air and on low it is about 170 . Not too many fines and low ash but the window does get dirty fast. But it cleans up fairly easy.

Damper..... damper.... where did I put that damper??????????? Oh yea....... under the stove in the front there is an air intake hole about the size of a silver dollar.... Your OAK hooks onto this tube of you have an OAK..... There is a small lever to the right of the tube.... This lever works an internal flap thus allowing you to control the air intake of the unit..... You can stick your finger up the hole and feel around for the damper flap..... Find it yet??????

FOUND IT!!! I guess the older stoves like mine dont have the lever to adjust the air. I dont have an oak. Was told by the installer that it wasnt needed in my house. Thanks

BadDad320 said:
ebengel...... Someone told me that Brass Castle General Store on Brass Castle Road has a Thelin Parlour heating the store. I may have to stop by and play a game of checkers by the old pickle barrel and check out their setup..................

BadDad320 I go right by them on my way to Belvidere, I'm going to stop by
on my next trip and see it. And my next trip will be soon because I'm
planning on picking up a set of the battery backup wires from Dennis

I work about 2 miles from the Brass Castle General Store, stopped in about 2 months ago did not notice the stove.
I'll have to stop by again.

Gumby1 said:
:roll: Hey Ebengel. You mentioned a damper on your stove. I have a Thelin purchased in 2005 and I dont beleive I have a damper. Where is it located on the stove or the chimeney? Also is yours auto ignition? Mine is not so it might be hard to put a t stat on it. I have been using the Green Supreme from NEWP And they seem to have pretty good heat. Checked the discharge air and on low it is about 170 . Not too many fines and low ash but the window does get dirty fast. But it cleans up fairly easy.

My stove is auto ignition, and yeah it does need it to run on this thermostat. Thermostat shuts it down completely and
restarts it as needed. Originally I thought it would just drop it down to low and bring it back up, but this way really
cuts down on the pellet usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.