Fire burning procedures: Add one log at a time or many? How much do I close the draft and when?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bokehman said:
Backwoods Savage, you've got a cat stove so it's easy for you to just throw in one piece, let it smoulder and have the cat clear up the mess. A non-cat doesn't work like that; it needs heat in the firebox or it's not in the zone.

bokehman, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I just throw in one piece of wood at a time and then let it smoulder! That definitely is not how we use a stove!

Backwoods Savage said:
bokehman, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I just throw in one piece of wood at a time and then let it smoulder! That definitely is not how we use a stove!
Savage, the point I was making was that a cat stove doesn't need as much heat in the firebox to work right. non-cat needs 1100ºF plus. What's a cat need? 500ºF? Even so you are not running as efficiently loading one log at a time. Each time you add fuel you have to open the bypass and the primary and are wasting a lot of energy up the flue. You can either do that 5 times with 1 piece, or 1 time with 5 pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.