Fire Chief FC1500 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some photos of the secondary air delivery.

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Reactions: brenndatomu
So the secondary air just has a straight shot in after that damper door thing? Geez these things are simple!
And no wonder you have to run 'em so hard to get them to clean up...the air is not being superheated...that air delivery system is sooo simple...too simple. Looks like another reason you have the fire at the back...that's where the air comes in and it doesn't look to have the air holes sized progressively larger like many do either...so it takes the path of least resistance, first hole it can find.

Reactions: Case1030
So the secondary air just has a straight shot in after that damper door thing?

Looks like another reason you have the fire at the back...that's where the air comes in and it doesn't look to have the air holes sized progressively larger like many do either...so it takes the path of least resistance, first hole it can find.

That “fire at the back” is one reason why I think the file temps are so high. The heat is being concentrated right under the rear of the furnace.

On the tundras it goes under the firebox bed then up the channels at the rear of stove inside the firebox, after that they go north south with tubes distributing the air. So for drolet and other manufacturers go through all that effort to preheat the air it has to do somthing beneficial.

Attachments

• 15476877374674613134662686794104.jpg
    15476877374674613134662686794104.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 204
  • 15476877668073632161450999502269.jpg
    15476877668073632161450999502269.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 215
That “fire at the back” is one reason why I think the file temps are so high. The heat is being concentrated right under the rear of the furnace.
But the heat/fire still has to go forward, around the front of the baffle to get back to the flue, no?

On the tundras it goes under the firebox bed then up the channels at the rear of stove inside the firebox, after that they go north south with tubes distributing the air. So for drolet and other manufacturers go through all that effort to preheat the air it has to do somthing beneficial.
Yes, the secondary air intake on the Tundra, Caddy, Heatpro, Max Caddy is probably 4' long (each side) until it gets to the tubes...I'd bet that's 1000*F (+) oxygen feeding the fire.
The primary air system is pretty long on the Kuuma too...secondary air tubes are only maybe 2', but almost all of it is exposed to the fire.

Reactions: Case1030
But the heat/fire still has to go forward, around the front of the baffle to get back to the flue, no?

In theory yes. However the front side of the stove doesn’t measure anything close to the heat inside the flue. This is one of the point I have brought up to HY-C.

Same design between the 2? Why would someone buy the Caddy for the extra $$? Yes I have read threads explaining the 2, but still can’t figure out why the extra $$.

You can buy addons for the caddy that aren't made for the Tundra (oil burner, ac coil, electric furnace elements. And as far as I know they have a mini grate instead of a plug for ashes. More setting you can adjust but nothing a temp controller can't do. Just a bunch of small things that add up. The tundra and caddy on paper look like they took the EPA test as the same furnace... must be similar enough to have the same results.

And the Caddys are bought only from a dealer...ever hear of dealer mark up?
The Tundra and the Caddy line originally had more difference between them than they do now since the TII came out...firebox and general design has always been the same though

In theory yes. However the front side of the stove doesn’t measure anything close to the heat inside the flue. This is one of the point I have brought up to HY-C.
You are comparing apples and oranges here...inside of the pipe vs outside of the firebox...

1 hour after fresh reload. Also haven't cleaned the window in 2 weeks. Wood moisture 18-22%.

Attachments

• 15476901241678545046199136788394.jpg
    15476901241678545046199136788394.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 15476901418285799898280420287604.jpg
    15476901418285799898280420287604.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: woodey
Same design between the 2? Why would someone buy the Caddy for the extra $$? Yes I have read threads explaining the 2, but still can’t figure out why the extra $$.

I betting, even though they are similar in firebox design, quality of materials are different. They have their entry level models and then the higher up models. To relate it to computers, most companies have their entry level consumer marketed stuff sold at the Best Buy's of the world and then they have their business class stuff. Big difference.

When @laynes69 and I bought our furnaces the Tundra didn't exist. If I were to do it all over again, I'd buy a Kuuma or get a lambda controlled boiler. If money weren't an object I'd buy the biggest Garn they make or buy a Froling and put 2k gallons of storage on it. Then you would be cooking with gas ;)

All said and done....I think I paid around 1500 after it was all said and done..so I cant complain. If I ever needed to replace ours, I'd consider the larger tundra.

I betting, even though they are similar in firebox design, quality of materials are different. They have their entry level models and then the higher up models. To relate it to computers, most companies have their entry level consumer marketed stuff sold at the Best Buy's of the world and then they have their business class stuff. Big difference.
I worked for a pump company, the premium pumps were hundreds more than the entry models. The difference, color and warranty! As far as warranty, they were rarely needed. The Caddy is dealer controlled and service is there, where Tundras are consumer. I highly doubt they change materials between each.

All said and done....I think I paid around 1500 after it was all said and done..so I cant complain. If I ever needed to replace ours, I'd consider the larger tundra.
I *think* I paid about double that and then some.

I worked for a pump company, the premium pumps were hundreds more than the entry models. The difference, color and warranty! As far as warranty, they were rarely needed. The Caddy is dealer controlled and service is there, where Tundras are consumer. I highly doubt they change materials between each.
The heavier fire bricks on the Caddy are better IMHO. Does the Tundra have sound dampening material on the inside of the furnace ? Other than those couple things, I'd say they are the same.

I worked for a pump company, the premium pumps were hundreds more than the entry models.
Was that the "blue pumps", or the "green pumps"? I took a class at the "blue pumps" "university/training center" in 2015...impressive place!

Reactions: sloeffle
Status
Not open for further replies.