Q&A Fire codes for stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a woodstove and I'm having it installed by a carpenter friend and my fiance. But in order for them to due it correctly I need a copy of the fire codes for woodstoves. Is it possible that you could email me a copy or tell me where I can locate a copy?

Answer:

Each stove has different installation clearances. If you don't have any instructions- ask your local fire marshal or building inspector for a copy of NFPA 211 ( the code for unlisted stoves).
Generally:
1. 36" to the stove from combustible wall
2. 18" to single wall pipe 3. Must use Class A metal chimney or lined masonry chimney.
Check our our newest articles on clearances at the info page link at the bottom of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.