Fire Danger - The Dark side of the modern synthetic world

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well stated, and true, but which burn faster?
Depends on how each one was built. But my guess would be the old one just because of the lack of fire codes many older homes don't have proper firestops ect. But really there are to many variables.

From a firefighting standpoint, I'd rather be working in a 150 year old ballon framed house built with rough sawn local lumber than a modern house built with these.

image.jpeg

There is a reason why many cities and towns have a Truss Beam/Chord Ordinance in place . . .

Here in Bangor new construction (industrial -- not residential -- we pretty much assume almost all residential uses truss beams/chords) are required to put a placard on the outside of their building to indicate that trusses were used . . . reason being that once a few fail the entire roof or floor can suddenly and unexpectedly collapse. Lots of videos on line showing just how fast compared to traditional stick built methods . . .

Also, worth noting . . . I've done inspecting in various businesses downtown and it's always interesting to me when I find charred beams and stringers in the basements or attic . . . signs of a significant fire and yet, perhaps due to the thicker wood, the building was able to be saved and rebuilt.

My carriage barn had a fire at one point in it's past. Fortunately, 6" x 8" white oak timber posts can take some serious punishment, without penalty.

From a firefighting standpoint, I'd rather be working in a 150 year old ballon framed house built with rough sawn local lumber than a modern house built with these.
Agreed but not all new homes are built with them by any means. And balloon framed home are scary to see when they burn it is amazing how fast they burn. But i totally agree those beams and trusses are absolutely a problem in a fire

I think Jeremy was looking for just one more reason, why we adore old houses... as if one were needed.

There is always a tendency to cherry pick examples from the past. What about all the houses built 200 yrs ago that fell down 150 yrs ago.

I can't watch the video yet, but do they define old? I prefer natural materials, wood, stone, glass, etc. But there is a place for the modern: azek, engineered beam, lead free paint, grounded electrical systems, firewalls, etc.

One word: plastics.
per Hubby the fire fighter - "Synthetics are like adding diesel fuel to the fire". He just completed a fire investigation ... siding was darkened but intact as it was cement board style but the fire progression was interesting. Board insulation under the siding poofed but the wood furring strips for the siding slowed/kept it contained so it travelled upward more than outward.

He's not a fan of engineered trusses - recent fire at home that one would anticipate legacy construction was not so. Really glad no one tried entry (too involved on arrival) as old/new portions of structure created huge hazard potential. House was added on to (part basement/part crawl space) and used engineered floor joists without rim joist.

http://www.nfpa.org/newsandpublicat...august-2009/features/lightweight-construction

Last edited:
per Hubby the fire fighter - "Synthetics are like adding diesel fuel to the fire". He just completed a fire investigation ... siding was darkened but intact as it was cement board style but the fire progression was interesting. Board insulation under the siding poofed but the wood furring strips for the siding slowed/kept it contained so it travelled upward more than outward.

He's not a fan of engineered trusses - recent fire at home that one would anticipate legacy construction was not so. Really glad no one tried entry (too involved on arrival) as old/new portions of structure created huge hazard potential. House was added on to (part basement/part crawl space) and used engineered floor joists without rim joist.

http://www.nfpa.org/newsandpublicat...august-2009/features/lightweight-construction

We refer to the "modern" furnishings a solid gasoline. Measured in BTU's they contain much more than the legacy stuff made from natural products.

Status
Not open for further replies.