Fire pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waterflea

Jul 4, 2008
NH
I recently cut off the ends of a 500 gal propane tanks to use as fire pits. A friend of mine
said he had scene this done and wanted one for his hunting camp. I plan to put the other
one at a campsite we have have. Does this need any air holes cut into the side or will this
burn ok with just the top open? It is 37 1/2" wide and 24" high.

I think it will burn just fine without holes but water may collect in it. I have friend's that have a piece of galvanized culvert cut off about 18" long, they just set it on top of the ground and with the bottom being open no water stays in it. I use a large truck rim and have it partly buried in the ground and surrounded by rocks I have found that when we get a lot of heavy rain it will have water laying in it. If I was in sandy soil I probably wouldn't have this problem but I am in clay and it doesn't drain well.

Waterflea- I have a deepish fire bowl thing that works well without holes. I was concerned as well. Watr collecting is the only PITA, so maybe flip it over when not in use.

Where did you score the tanks? There's a demand for them here as pressurized hot water storage tanks. Since you're in- state- I assume they weren't that far away. Lemme know!

Thanks,
-pH

My vote is for some holes. It really depends on how deep it is and how you want it to burn. I find that if you put the holes near the bottom, they will get covered with ash. So you can leave it like that or you can poke a stick in the hols to stoke the fire. and keep the air passage clear.

...and it lets water through...

I say 1 hole in the very bottom for a water drain.

Something that big & heavy, set (presumably) part way into the ground, is gonna be a real PITA to flip over to get rid of accumulated water. I think I'd lay in a couple inches of gravel in the pit beneath it and drill a few drain holes in the bottom before I set it in place. Sounds cool, though, I'd like to have one. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.