Fire place xtrordinair 36 elite problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

camstephan

Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a fireplace xtrordinair 36 elite that is 15 years old. The medal is corroded through on the back of the stove just above the damper plate bracket. Has anyone seen this? If so how was it repaired?
I'm communicating with a rep from Travis Industries and hoping for some help.
So far the feedback has been that the problem has never been seen before. If that is so I believe they will be seeing more of this from my assessment of the construction.

Has a hole been opened to look at the unit? I'm wondering if there has been a leak causing corrosion of the top of the fireplace.

Has a hole been opened to look at the unit? I'm wondering if there has been a leak causing corrosion of the top of the fireplace.
No Leak. There is an area or void between the bypass plate, the bracket that the bypass plate sits on, and the back of the stove where ash can collect. When not in use the ash built up most likely attracted moisture causing the corrosion. The metal used at the back of the stove is very thin and corroded through.