Fire visible at base of flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sarwilky

Jan 27, 2014
Maine
I recently (2 weeks ago) and my second Defiant VC wood stove installed. It is the 8" oval connection, straight up venting through the ceiling. I have never experienced this before - but once I went through a few days of slow burn, I fired it up. I can SEE flames between the stove and the base of the flue. It is a very small opening, but you can see the flames. at one point I turned the stove way down (too fast) and smoke came out of the same location. My installer is telling me that is normal?? I have never had smoke escape, nor been able to see flames. I appreciate any feedback.

I don't think that's "normal". The only smoke expected from a new unit inside should be from burn in, and that depends on the method used. If you're seeing fire at the base of the flue between the flue and the flue collar, I'd assume that the flue isn't positively seated. Perhaps you may want to have the system inspected by a different company who's got no skin in the game. Don't salt the inspection by mentioning anything that would direct their attention to the flue collar specifically, as that would almost guarantee your being told that it's wrong and given an offer to fix it.

Can you post a picture or two of the location in question?

The dealer may have been referring to the smoke puff when turning down the stove quickly. This might have caused a small puff back.

Reactions: nagrod
I recently (2 weeks ago) and my second Defiant VC wood stove installed. It is the 8" oval connection, straight up venting through the ceiling. I have never experienced this before - but once I went through a few days of slow burn, I fired it up. I can SEE flames between the stove and the base of the flue. It is a very small opening, but you can see the flames. at one point I turned the stove way down (too fast) and smoke came out of the same location. My installer is telling me that is normal?? I have never had smoke escape, nor been able to see flames. I appreciate any feedback.
6616D5EC-6E1A-45F5-ADDD-4F33C60F913D.jpeg

Yes, I see it. How much of a gap is there. ? Enough for a wrap of 1/16" gasket? If not, it could be filled with stove cement but that probably will flake out over time.

Reactions: nagrod
Yes, I see it. How much of a gap is there. ? Enough for a wrap of 1/16" gasket? If not, it could be filled with stove cement but that probably will flake out over time.
Thanks! At least that much. I called Vermont castings and they said it’s installed incorrectly. The dealer at a minimum should have used cement, but may have not installed the flue correctly at all. So hopefully we’ll get them to fix it.