Firebox cluster bombs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Does anyone else get little "cluster bomb" type explosions when they open the door of their stove? There's nothing quite like opening the door of the furnace at 6:00 AM, still shaking off the sleep and being greeted by tiny glowing embers that shoot off of a charred split and then burst in mid-air sending a shower of sparks into my lap like a mini 4th of July display. I am assuming that it's primarily a function of the wood being very hot, but not receiving much oxygen (air control open about a 1/4) and then being flooded with oxygen when the door is opened, but I can't figure out whether or not the type of wood has anything to do with it. Due to my scrounging habit my piles are a mish-mash of whatever I find on the side of the road. It's not so much a concern but rather a curiosity as my furnace is in the basement and surrounded by concrete, but since these little suckers have flown in excess of 2 feet on occasion I could imagine them giving living room stove owners fits.

Badfish740 said:
Does anyone else get little "cluster bomb" type explosions when they open the door of their stove? There's nothing quite like opening the door of the furnace at 6:00 AM, still shaking off the sleep and being greeted by tiny glowing embers that shoot off of a charred split and then burst in mid-air sending a shower of sparks into my lap like a mini 4th of July display. I am assuming that it's primarily a function of the wood being very hot, but not receiving much oxygen (air control open about a 1/4) and then being flooded with oxygen when the door is opened, but I can't figure out whether or not the type of wood has anything to do with it. Due to my scrounging habit my piles are a mish-mash of whatever I find on the side of the road. It's not so much a concern but rather a curiosity as my furnace is in the basement and surrounded by concrete, but since these little suckers have flown in excess of 2 feet on occasion I could imagine them giving living room stove owners fits.

I think it is pockets of sap or something. I have the same problem sometimes and those little buggers will burn what they hit. One hit the cat and never seen her run so fast. Had one hit somewhere in my hair and burn some...Hate it!

Proper operation of a woodstove calls for opening the primary air control wide (and the bypass damper, if installed) a couple of minutes before opening the door to reload, or whatever. This tends to minimize the threat of embers popping out of the stove when the door is opened. Even with that, stove operators experience it from time to time, and it pays to have generous floor protection in front of the stove (or to the side if that's where the door is), and a set of tools handy that includes a shovel & broom. Rick

Badfish740 said:

Yup - happens to me if I'm not careful, especially on a coaling or smoldering fire. Stove fills with flammable gasses but there's no flame to ignite them. Door opens, air rushes in, the embers heat up and then "whoosh", you've got a firebox full of flame. The air expands and finds it's way out of the stove any which way it can.

As was mentioned in the thread earlier, go full open on your controls, wait, crack your door, wait, and then open up to tend to the fire box.

-Al
Kent Sherwood

Badfish740 said:

Even with the By Pass open and the air control fully opened it happens to me, mostly with Cherry.

Zap

Only when I'm barefoot.

Certain woods do that in my stove too.. It's a little startling at times if you're not ready for it.. I open the door slowly and let it do its thing then reload, adjust etc...

Ray

Same thing here on occassion. Open the door and it's like the 4th of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.