Firebox information request!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flyfishsail

Oct 6, 2017
Washington
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance for any suggestions you offer up!

I have a 40s house and just pulled out an older 80s insert w/o a sleeve and am installing a new insert that requires a sleeve. When I removed the old insert I noticed two things. 1. My sleeve will not fit through my damper assembly(even with the plate removed. 2 The back of my firebox is damaged/cracked and can actually move a bit. The exterior of the chimney is fine, no cracks. And there is caps up top. I assume they had water in there at one point.

Would it be ok to simply remove the broken bits and damper to make room for the sleeve? Or the the shelf need to be there for sleeves as well? I'll attach some pictures.

Cheers,

Iain

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 143
Damper can be removed to make room for the liner or a notch can be ground out. I'd repair the firebrick with some refractory mortar to stabilize the back wall.