Firebrick in my Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky1

Oct 9, 2009
Ripley WV
I may be asking a dumb question, but anyway, why are some of my bricks pinkish and some white? And is the gaps between them supposed to be tight or slightly spaced? Across the back of my stove I have some large gaps in the corners where you can see the metal easily. Also, is it best to leave the ash between the bricks on the floor of the firebox or lift out the bricks and clean the floor of all ash? I have read that the ash insulates the firebox metal, is this true? Because the corners of my firebox are all exposed. Will the heat damage anything bare metal over time??

Wacky1 said:
I may be asking a dumb question, but anyway, why are some of my bricks pinkish and some white? And is the gaps between them supposed to be tight or slightly spaced? Across the back of my stove I have some large gaps in the corners where you can see the metal easily. Also, is it best to leave the ash between the bricks on the floor of the firebox or lift out the bricks and clean the floor of all ash? I have read that the ash insulates the firebox metal, is this true? Because the corners of my firebox are all exposed. Will the heat damage anything bare metal over time??

Surprised no answers so I'll try. Mine are all light brown, the different colors might be for different temperatures? I'm too lazy to get my manual out but small gap in the firebrick is fine, there needs to be a little expansion room but should not be larger then 1/8 inch (if I remember). You should leave about 2"of ash in the firebox, both as a insulation and also will keep the coal little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.