Firebrick removal and replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

Oct 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
The house that I purchased recently has an "Englander Fireplace" freestanding wood stove. The firebrick that lines the firebox has cracked and some pieces are missing. I have tried to pull the old bricks out to replace them but they seem to be attached somehow. Do I need to break out a hammer and chisel? Since these are attached, do I need to reattach the new ones with some type of mortar or adhesive?

mack said:
The house that I purchased recently has an "Englander Fireplace" freestanding wood stove. The firebrick that lines the firebox has cracked and some pieces are missing. I have tried to pull the old bricks out to replace them but they seem to be attached somehow. Do I need to break out a hammer and chisel? Since these are attached, do I need to reattach the new ones with some type of mortar or adhesive?

As far as I know, the bricks are just loose laid in there. There should be no need for adhesive or mortar.
What you prolly have is ash that has built up & compacted in between the bricks. Once you get one or two loose & out, it should be much easier to remove the rest.

BB where are you.

Mike and corie where are you?

There is usually a sequence to taking the brick out - like - start here and the rest will come out easily.

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
There is usually a sequence to taking the brick out - like - start here and the rest will come out easily.
Rubics cube?

budman said:
BB where are you.

Gotta be one of the older Englanders. I haven't had any of them but every one I have seen at the neighbor's houses and back when they were in stove stores all had loose bricks just held in by steel retainer rails.

If they are cracked anyway, smack'em with a hammer. Hammer ain't gonna hurt one of those 1/4" steel battlewagons. Might bust the hammer though. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.