Firelight 12 ash lip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LumberCity

Nov 8, 2019
central pa
I just bought a firelight 12 off an older couple for $125 because it seemed like the price was worth the effort to clean it up a bit. The rear burn plate (with the sunburst casting) is pretty trashed but the cat chamber looked clean and Nothing seemed too bad overall. With the exception of the missing ash lip which I stupidly assumed wasn’t a huge deal.

once I brought the stove home And I was looking at it a little closer I noticed 2 things:

1) the inner bottom plate has a crack in it right in front About an inch long. Considering there’s no chance in finding a new plate I think I’ll pack it with cement and monitor it.

2) the ash lip mounting points are critical to making the ash pan door air tight. I’m at a bit of a loss on how to deal with this because it appears that the original ash lip is unavailable and the castings for the newer 600cb appear to be different.

anybody got any ideas? I’m open to any advice here.

If the baseplate is cracked it has to be replaced and will only get worse. This could have been caused by a leaky ashpan door or continually starting the fire with the ashpan door open.

Yeah I would be happy you only wasted $125 on it at this point. Cut your losses and look for something else

Noted it must be replaced. I figured the stove might just be a total loss. Anyone out there in Pennsylvania need a parts stove?

Noted it must be replaced. I figured the stove might just be a total loss. Anyone out there in Pennsylvania need a parts stove?
Most people have given up on these a long time ago

yeah. i don't really know what I was thinking when I bought it. Maybe it'll make a cool planter in the garden.

yeah. i don't really know what I was thinking when I bought it. Maybe it'll make a cool planter in the garden.
Advertise it for parts. You should be able to recoup some of your losses.

As it turns out, my local jotul dealer can get the cracked bottom plate for $300 And the ash lip for $50. Now reconsidering my choices....

If it needs a cat there is another $200. Go through the rest of the stove carefully for other issues. Pay close attention to the cat housing, catalyst and the bypass assembly operation and sealing.

All those items except the cat are in decent shape. The whole thing needs new gaskets but that’s not such a big deal. I have an extra cat from my series 8 that fits. You’re right implying that repairs will add up quick though. I’m thinking I’d be close to $500 in parts after shipping costs. Seems kinda stupid to spend that much on an old ass stove.

There is a guy in Easton, PA that refurbs stoves. He is on Facebook marketplace. If you put Easton as location and type in firelight he has one for sale. He says he takes in trades for credit to a stove. Says he has over 50 stoves available.

Yes but even fixed up it is still a firelight. They simply were not very good stoves. Yes you can get them to work but they take way to much maintenance to keep them running.

Yea I meant if he wanted to get rid of it maybe the guy would give him some money off buying something else he has available.

Reactions: bholler
I’ve talked to that guy before. He probably won’t give me more than $100 in credit and I’m not confident I’m interested in buying any stoves he offers. But still, he’s probably the best bet