Fireplace and heat loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason845845

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2014
Kingston, Ny
Hey all. I have a fireplace in my living room that I currently have capped off at the top and didn't use it last year after ripping out a drafty "insert". I had planned on putting a wood burning insert in this year, but the toy budget is gone.

The plan for this year, is to have a top sealing damper installed (no existing damper)and use it as an open hearth fireplace, just because I enjoy the warmth of it and missed it so much last year. Everything has been cleaned and inspected and deemed good to go by a sweep.

Now here is my question. With it being a masonry chimney on an exterior wall, how will this affect the house when the damper on top closed and sealed off? Right now I have insulation shoved up the flue in the firebox and it is completely sealed off from the room.

Thanks, and if I need to clarify let me know. Future plan is to install a nice insert that is capable of burning with the doors open and moving the pellet stove downstairs to the tv room.

I installed a top sealing damper for a friend last year with an open fireplace.

He tried to judge how well it was sealed by comparing it with the top damper closed to when he had it stuffed with insulation, and the front of the fireplace taped shut with plastic in both cases. Plastic would puff up as air tried to come down the chimney.

In all, he was very pleased with the top sealing damper in that it did better than he expected, but didn't think it blocked the air as well as the insulation (to be expected). However, it was good enough that he didn't feel a draft in the house and made the wife very happy that it wasn't such a hassle for her to burn ambiance fires.

pen

Reactions: Jason845845
That's my exact situation. Thank you very much. I figure the 6 nights a week I'm not using it I can use one of those balloon thingies and be good.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.