Fireplace chimney smoke issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calrunin

Jan 2, 2017
Canada
Hi all and Happy New Year. I'm new to the site and new to fireplaces in a home in general so please bare with me.

My wife and I recently purchased a house. Built in the 80's and has two wonderful fireplaces, one on the main floor and one in the basement. The fireplaces were a factor in why we chose this house in the first place.

We have had several fires burning to date but every time we run into the same problem. The chimney exhaust for both fireplaces comes out right next to each other. When we have a fire upstairs the basement chimney ducks in the smoke. When we have a fire downstairs the chimney exhaust from upstairs pulls the smoke in. I understand it is drawing fresh air in as I do not think we have a fresh air intake on either fireplace. If I Crack a window in the room we are having the fire it helps a bit but still gets smokey.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.