Fireplace compatible with 6 inch liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrythegreat

Jan 10, 2008
canada
Hi there

We want to install a high effeciency large fireplace, zero clearance preferably that is compatible with a liner to put in existing chimney.

thank you

A zero clearance fireplace gets it's own chimney pipe as specified and tested by the stove mfg.. It does not get connected to an existing chimney via a liner. Do you have a fireplace now? If yes, is it a masonry fireplace? That would get an insert if so.

A zero clearance fireplace gets it's own chimney pipe as specified and tested by the stove mfg.. It does not get connected to an existing chimney via a liner. Do you have a fireplace now? If yes, is it a masonry fireplace? That would get an insert if so.

No fireplace, it is a chimney for a former oil furnace. I am in Canada and was told I could use the chimney if I put a liner but I could have been mislead

give us the inner diameter of your chimney please.

I am in Canada and was told I could use the chimney if I put a liner but I could have been mislead
Not for any zero clearance unit I have ever seen

Take a look at the Osburn Soho and Matrix stoves, the Regency Alterra, & Pacific Energy Neo. Europe produces some very modern stoves. Take a look at the Jotul F370, Scan and Rais stoves and Morso's contemporary line.

Take a look at the Osburn Soho and Matrix stoves, the Regency Alterra, & Pacific Energy Neo. Europe produces some very modern stoves. Take a look at the Jotul F370, Scan and Rais stoves and Morso's contemporary line.

Thanks but I was hoping for fireplace so we could distribute the heat in house

Depending on what you currently have, you could place an insert into the existing fireplace if that is what you have? Maybe I missed it but what are you replacing? Is it a zero clearance that you currently have? You may even be able to place a freestanding woodstove there but we need more info. If you can get a 6 inch liner into your chimney then you options are many.

Depending on what you currently have, you could place an insert into the existing fireplace if that is what you have? Maybe I missed it but what are you replacing? Is it a zero clearance that you currently have? You may even be able to place a freestanding woodstove there but we need more info. If you can get a 6 inch liner into your chimney then you options are many.

I dont have anything. It is the chimney that was used for my oil furnace. I am looking for something I can redistribute the heat in the house

I dont have anything. It is the chimney that was used for my oil furnace. I am looking for something I can redistribute the heat in the house

i'm sure you can hook a wood burning appliance to that chimney. if i were you i would get a certified sweep there to inspect it and tell you what you have for a chimney and what kind of appliance you are able to hook up to it.

Based on what we have been told a freestanding stove is the first option. Now we get the qualifier that the OP wants to duct the heat. As noted earlier a zero clearance fireplace gets it's own chimney pipe as specified and tested by the stove mfg.. This narrows the choice down to a wood furnace. There are some wood furnaces that have a glass door.

Status
Not open for further replies.