Fireplace conversion. Need an efficient fireplace door source.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kksalm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2007
Kenai Alaska
Hi All.
I'm about to revamp my massive circa 1950 fireplace into a more efficient breed. I'm thinking of building a rosin style masonry insert using fire bricks with high refractory coatings, some method of heating air for the primary burn, brick in some secondary burn tubes and have a baffle plate above the pipes for secondary burn. I want to get started but first I need a fireplace door, with windows, no less. Any referrals, suggestions, comments, etc. would be most welcome.
Thank you and best regards, Ken

You will need air tight doors and the only two places I know of is Wilkening and Country Flame. I have the Wilkening doors, they are ok, but don't pass the dollar bill test. Both companies are pretty spendy.

Jeez, that sounds like a whole lot more $ and effort than an insert or stove. I guess it'd be something to be proud of if you go through with it, though.
Best of luck to you. Document the process if you do. I think many here would be interested, myself included.

I'm thinking a whole lot less $ but quite a bit more effort unless the doors are too pricey. What the heck, I got laid off so it's not the effort I should be concerned about. I just look at that great big firebox surrounded by all that mass and think there's gotta be a way to make it efficient. It's them gosh durn doors that got me stumped. My in-laws have a Finnish masonry stove that really does well and the little glass doors on it don't look like they should be in the "pricey" class.
Thank you for the input I've received so far. Ken

would it not work to order a door made for any insert, and then make your masonry stuff to fit that?
(I really don't know)

Yeah that's what I was going to suggest. Look at any EPA fireplace or insert's part list, and the doors are listed as parts, find a style you like, and order up.
I would imagine they aren't the cheapest part though.

Status
Not open for further replies.