Fireplace Flame Extinguisher — Chimfex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzcranne

Oct 3, 2008
Deep South Jersey
As far as my research can tell, Chimfex is no longer around. This company used to produce a device that looked like a flare that you would toss into your wood stove in the event of a chimney fire. It contained a chemical that would extinguish the fire. Does anyone know of a similar product?

I know about regular cleaning to prevent chimney fires, and the importance of having an actual fire extinguisher nearby. But I'd still like to have one of these "flare" extinguishers on hand if they are still available.

Ironically, rumor has it that Chimfex had a warehouse fire that put them out of business. That may not be true, but it makes for a good story.

Attachments

• chimfex.jpg
    chimfex.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 455
Dunno about Chimfex or related products... but I have wondered what a chimney fire does if you aim a good-sized (5-10 lb) dry chemical extinguisher up above your baffle and let fly? Does that just make it angry?

Eddy

The story is true and no replacement product has come along. Keep a couple of boxes of baking soda handy to toss in the firebox if the need arises.

Not that it probably ever will. In three years here I have never seen a reported chimney fire in a properly installed Class A pipe setup or lined chimney with a clean burning stove.

Keep the chimney clean, burn good dry wood at a good flue temp and life will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.