Fireplace Insert Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt V

Oct 4, 2013
Hello everyone, I am new to Hearth but not new to using a fireplace insert. About 7 years ago I purchased a Napolean 1101 and installed it myself. I used a six inch flex liner and did NOT insulate it. I never knew the overall benefits of this step. Anyway, I have always had a very difficult time lighting a fire, and once lit, I had to keep the door open for quite a while before the box was hot enough to be self sustained. I have decided to upgrade my insert for several reasons. I just want to make sure of a couple of things first.

1. should I replace my liner? What should I look for in it being inoperable or needing replacement

2. I think I had a fresh air intake issue with my Napolean, is it typical in that stove, or will I have the same issues with a new stove and how can I correct this issue.

3. I am looking at a Lopi Freedom, what are the good, bad and ugly of this stove and are they any other inserts that would be a better choice..

I know that I asking for quite a bit, but I don't want to make a bad choice!

Thanks,
Matt

Welcome Matt. How tall is the chimney? Is it an exterior or interior chimney?

Reactions: Matt V
Tackling your difficulty with starting a fire, please explain how you went about it, I can bet you didn't have enough firepower to get it going, it is not easy to start a fire, unless you really understand the process....
The liner, 7 years old, I say maybe...but get at least 2 professional opinions first.....

Reactions: Matt V
I am seeing a not dry enough wood situation here. Tell us about the wood you are burning. What kind of wood, how long you have cut and split it and how you stored it?

That stove you have should be kicking good heat.

Tackling your difficulty with starting a fire, please explain how you went about it, I can bet you didn't have enough firepower to get it going, it is not easy to start a fire, unless you really understand the process....
The liner, 7 years old, I say maybe...but get at least 2 professional opinions first.....
I'm going to tackle your questions and Brother Barts! I agree I probably do not know how to properly start a fire, but I would use a fire starter, and get the box hot with a little kindling, usually four or five pieces of oak that are about 1 inch diameter which have been in my back yard for over two years. Usually if I go this way I can get the bed good and hot, but once I get some moderately sized oak it starts to stall. I talked to the dealer and they suggested oak from a company that does nothing but supply wood furnaces which I did. The biggest issue is that by box can really only accommodate 12" lengths and I have it tried to cut and split my own wood yet but I think that is my next venture in self sustainment.

I guess in other words I am a newbie in-so-far as my actual knowledge.

So you are loading the wood N/S, aligned front to back, instead of E/W, side to side? The stove should hold 16" to 18" splits E/W.

Hey Matt,
I used to have that unit. I loved it. I'm with the BartMan on this. The problem most likely is not the insert, but the fuel.

Good, bad, ugly:
  • Great secondary light show
  • Fan is behind the firebox so its a couple extra steps to access for cleaning, but is super.
  • The variable speeds on the fan are nice
  • Insert does not protrude into room so awkward location for thermometer and no space for cook top
  • Smaller 1.7cf firebox, so needs be refilled every 6 hours or so. You can load it so you have plenty of coals after 8 hours, but no significant heat.
  • Very simple to run
  • The location if the burn tubes is kind of annoying and limits the amount of wood you can load
  • Overall I really liked this insert. It served me well, and paid for itself in just four months of heating. I just needed more firepower to heat my drafty 1700sf ranch on Long Island.
Hope that's helpful.

Have to agree. 20ft is plenty enough flue for that stove. Resplit some of the wood and test it for moisture with a meter or by pressing it up against your cheek. If it is cool and damp, the wood is not ready to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.