fireplace insert which is best

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Osburn 2200i, hands down; and don't let those Summit owners tell you otherwise.

Seriously, that's a bit like asking what's the best vehicle out there? There are many very good quality inserts out there that will perform very well and if used properly and cared for will last for years and years to come. Which one is best for you depends on your specific situation. Let's start with a few questions:

What type of fireplace are you installing it in? (masonry, zero clearance, pre-fab, etc...)
What are the dimensions of the existing firebox?
What is your current chimney set up like?
Where is the current fireplace located? (basement, main level, interior or exterior wall)
How many square feet is your house?
What is the basic layout of the home? (open concept, high ceilings, etc...)
What's your budget?
Are you loooking to burn 24/7 for primary heat or just part time?
Wher are you located?

That should get some serious suggestions coming.

BTW, welcome to hearth.com

There is no best insert or stove. It is the one that is best liked by you for the job and that fits the particular design constraints. You'll find lots of personal loyalties here, but in the end, it has to be a stove that satisfies your unique needs and access. The chimney and flue assembly is almost as important as the stove. So is finding a good dealer you trust.

Before we can add any information we'll need to know a lot more about your needs and particular installation. Griz has posted a great set of starting questions. After that we can provide more input. If you can post a picture of the current setup that would be a big help too.

i have a masonery fireplace looking to heat house with it, approx 2000sq ft fire box is 38 wide 26 deep 27 high mantle 50 high, budget workable, located near new bedford ma.

IMHO it is not an Appalachian 32XLBW insert. I bought one off ebay that was a floor model and it was never used. It puts out so little heat I went and bought a Regency I3100 that is to be installed on 12-12 with all new liner and hearth. I was looking at soap stones and the salesman talked me out of them and into the 3100. I will post in the improvement on or after 12-12.

I also have a masonry fireplace that came with the log home I bought and have around 2000sf.

Shipper

The room size and first floor plan will determine the stove size somewhat. If you like castiron, take a look at the Jotul Kennebec or Hamilton i300, for steel the Quad Quadrafire 4100i or Regency 2400i, Avalon or Lopi are good too. If you want higher power, take a look at the Pacific Energy Summit insert or the Quad 5100i. The mantle may be a problem for some stoves if it's wood.

the mantle is wood and has anyone have anything good to say about the hearthstone clydsedale or the jotule rockland my floor plan is wide open . to me quality is more important than price thanks for any help.

The Clydesdale is a good unit. The Rockland is not out yet to my knowledge, but current owners are reporting good heating with the Kennebec in your climate zone. It is a very successful insert. If it were me I would wait on the Rockland to let Jotul work out the bugs. The first year with any new stove is a trial year. The PE Summit has a loyal following here and the Quad 5100i is another winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.