Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Ross

Nov 28, 2006
Planning on installing a woodburing insert into an older fireplace, home built in 76. Firebox is metal, (looks like heavy corrugated) with brick facing. Has fan vents on brick facing to circ warm air. Trying to determine fireplace manufacturer, and whether or not I'll need a zero clearance insert. Looking at Lopi Revere (zero clear) or Freedom (not ZC). Working on quotes from 2-3 local dealers, but would like some impartial advice before talking sales and customization, if needed.

Thanks for the assist.

Sounds like a heatilator. Look at the Revere manual (found on the lopi site) for ability to install into that. Also, post pics.

General opinion is that it sounds like a Revere would do the trick. One key for a fireplace/chimney that old...have it inspected before you install.

If you need to replace the chimney or reline it the inspection will tell you that. Be sure that the inspector doesn't have a vested interest in telling you only one story..."replace it, reline it and I'll be glad to take your $$$ to do it"

I would be real leary issuing a permit for an insert install in a 30 year old metal fireplace with possibly an unlisted chimney.

something I stumbled on a couple days ago is a system for the VC winterwarm stoves, where VC makes an enclosure...essentially a prefab fireplace type thing for the winterwarm stoves to fit into. You might look at that, and replace the original fireplace while your at it. ON the otherhand if your going through that much trouble, you might as well replace the chimney and fireplace with somethign like this:

Vermont Castings Sequoia series

or

Fireplace Extrordinair

Working on pics. I think it's a heatilator, from various descriptions I've read. Firebox is cinderblocked in inside garage. Has fan intake vents in garage. Exterior chimney in great condition, other than needing brick cap resealed 2 years ago. Fireplace has worked fine for 5 years, but I'm tired of the lousy heat effeciency and it goes through alot of wood.

I've had it cleaned and inspected several times, no problems found.

Is a permit required for an insert install? I understand the safety issues with it. I'm in WA.

Thanks for the advice!

Has fan intake vents in garage

To me this sounds like a potentially very dangerous situation taking air from a garage into a fireplace??? I would block that intake up with solid 4" masonry before any other considerations .
It is even illegal to have ash cleanout located in garages.
Especiall in WA., one of the strictes code enforcement state permits are required

elkimmeg said:
Has fan intake vents in garage

To me this sounds like a potentially very dangerous situation taking air from a garage into a fireplace??? I would block that intake up with solid 4" masonry before any other considerations .
It is even illegal to have ash cleanout located in garages.
Especiall in WA., one of the strictes code enforcement state permits are required

No kidding Elk!! Just imagine that can of gas for the lawnmower sittin next to the fan intakes!!

Also, seems odd that the room air isn't circulated and heated. I'm with Elk here...Block them suckers up now.

This post certainly brings up the question of what consititutes a "fireplace". Hypothetical situation. A person builds a cinderblock enclosure just big enough to house an insert, puts a hole in the top for Class A chimney...Is that a valid install elk?

Please note my tone here: I'm really wondering what defines "fireplace" as far as insert installs are concerned. Or is what I'm describing more of a alcove? What's the definition of an alcove? Most stove manufactures specify clearances and install limits to combustibles in alcoves but depend on a properly built fireplace to be...well, properly built...what ever that means.

Vent intakes in garage aren't for combustion air, they feed internal warm air fan vents inside room. Combustion air is exclusively from the interior room fireplace is located in.

The ash bin door is in the garage though. Didn't realize it was non-code. Looking at that real quick.

Anyone recommend an inspector/dealer, in North Puget Sound area? I'm on Whidbey Island.

Garages are considered hazzardeous location requiring it to be completely sealed and covered with one hour fire rated sheetrock. The entry door also has to be a B labled fire door.
Any air, whether it be combustion air, has no business being taken from a garage location introduced into a living space

Fixed the vent issue and have two estimates for insert installs. Looking at Lopi and Pacific Energy, but PE is way less expensive. Anyone have PE insert installed, what's you're opinion of equipment? Anyone from Pacific NW (Whidbey Island area) had an install done? I'd like to get some word of mouth info on shops before I commit $2-3000 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.