fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged1

Jul 1, 2015
Gladwin, MI (48624)
Am looking to install an airtight insert into my factory installed fireplace. This a 20 yr old modular home, the flue and liner are 11" round smooth metal. I assume the liner is insulated but not sure. Got a great deal on insert from my brother, but if I have to install a new 6" insulated liner it will bump my cost up substantially. My question is will I really need a new insert for our safety. Thanks all George

Welcome to the forum!

I am glad you came here because your situation is not as easy as you think. First, do you know the manufacturer and model of both, the insert and the fireplace? You could post pics to get some help identifying them.

Please be also aware that most zero clearance fireplace manufacturers don't allow the installation of an insert in their units. However, there are inserts that can be installed in a ZC fireplace according to their manufacturer. It is a grey area that gets regularly debated here. Knowing which units you have will certainly help in assessing whether it can be done at all.
My question is will I really need a new insert for our safety.

Do you maybe mean "liner"? It sounds like you already have the insert. And yes, you will need a liner, not just for safety but also for the insert to draft properly. The flue of your fireplace is too wide and will give you problems without a liner.

Any newer insert will need dry wood with less than 20% internal moisture content. How many cords of split firewood do you already have and how long have those been drying in your yard?

Welcome to the forum!

I am glad you came here because your situation is not as easy as you think. First, do you know the manufacturer and model of both, the insert and the fireplace? You could post pics to get some help identifying them.

Please be also aware that most zero clearance fireplace manufacturers don't allow the installation of an insert in their units. However, there are inserts that can be installed in a ZC fireplace according to their manufacturer. It is a grey area that gets regularly debated here. Knowing which units you have will certainly help in assessing whether it can be done at all.

Do you maybe mean "liner"? It sounds like you already have the insert. And yes, you will need a liner, not just for safety but also for the insert to draft properly. The flue of your fireplace is too wide and will give you problems without a liner.

Any newer insert will need dry wood with less than 20% internal moisture content. How many cords of split firewood do you already have and how long have those been drying in your yard?

Haven't figured out how to upload photos yet. Also trying to get more info on this house. It is a Marlette modular home approx. 20 yrs old. Fireplace has multiple metal plates in it, I removed the outer plates, but can't figure out the inner ones. It has what looks like a faux fire brick back wall. The problem is the width at the back of the fireplace between the inner plates is 5" narrower than the insert. Insert is a Poti airtight insert. We just moved from Texas back to Central Michigan and with the recent Solar Vortexs, would really want the supplemental heat source seeing as the main heat is a propane furnace.

For the pics: Load them onto your computer. At the bottom of this reply box to the right you will see a button "Upload a File". Click on that, browse on your computer for the pic-files and the forum software will upload them.

Never heard of a "Poti" stove brand. I would be surprised if that one would be approved for an install into a ZC fireplace.

For the pics: Load them onto your computer. At the bottom of this reply box to the right you will see a button "Upload a File". Click on that, browse on your computer for the pic-files and the forum software will upload them.

Never heard of a "Poti" stove brand. I would be surprised if that one would be approved for an install into a ZC fireplace.

Hopefully I figured it out

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 115
The side heat shields need to stay in. Is there a mfg. name and model on the inside of the front frame of the fireplace?

I couldn't find anything on a Poti insert. Is this an old feller? Got a picture of it?

That fireplace also has zero hearth and would be unsafe to use even without the insert. I would be careful with the assumption that it was installed to code. It may not hurt to have a professional take a look at it. http://www.csia.org/search

How tall is the opening measured from the floor? Probably your safest option would be to put a hearth in front of the fireplace with a rear-vented stove on top. You would still need to drop a liner down the chimney which connects to the stove trough a tee.

Reactions: SolarBrian
Status
Not open for further replies.