Fireplace - Install Insert or Freestanding Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
I have been posting and learning for a few weeks now and read that many who have installed an insert would have preferred to have installed a freestanding stove. Some have actually removed the insert and replaced it with a freestanding stove.

I am very interested in what the experienced stove owners think I should do with the existing fireplace. Install an insert or freestanding stove. The insert would most likely be a Century cw2900. And the Freestanding stoves could be a Pleasant Hearth LWS-130291 or with more difficulty install an Englander 30NC.

If needed, I can remove a portion of the stone hearth to gain 3 more inches in fireplace height. Only the section that the stove sits on would be removed.

The PH installed would be completely inside the fireplace with the front of the stove even with the front of the fireplace opening. The 30NC would stick out about 8 inches beyond the fireplace opening.

One very important factor that is not clear to me, would a freestanding stove with a blower and convection deck produce the same amount of heat as an insert given this particular installation?

I am trying to do this on the cheap, so to speak. The freestanding stoves cost less and right now the PH is on sale at a good price point
Fireplace 2.jpg .

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to keep the arched opening. Maybe do a compromise and install an insert, without the surround. Then you have a stove with a convection jacket, blower in front, no legs and an easy install.

Yes, that is a consideration. Still leaning towards isntalling an freestanding stove, using a 45 degree elbow to move the stove out onto the hearth a bit. A 90 degree elbow may fit, depends on the stove height. A 90 would allow placement anywhere onto the hearth although a 90 degree
should be avoided if possible from what I have read.

Yes, that is a consideration. Still leaning towards isntalling an freestanding stove, using a 45 degree elbow to move the stove out onto the hearth a bit. A 90 degree elbow may fit, depends on the stove height. A 90 would allow placement anywhere onto the hearth although a 90 degree
should be avoided if possible from what I have read.
Here's a viable option for you- drop an insulated liner down the chimney and into the fireplace where a tee with clean out can be attached. Then you will have a nice horizontal run to a rear venting stove that can be placed directly in front of the fireplace.

Here's a viable option for you- drop an insulated liner down the chimney and into the fireplace where a tee with clean out can be attached. Then you will have a nice horizontal run to a rear venting stove that can be placed directly in front of the fireplace.

That would work great, accept rear vented stoves cost a lot more.

Did some measurements this weekend using an HVAC adjustable 6" 45 degree from HD. HD nor Lowes has a 45* stove pipe in stock.

A couple freestanding stoves could fit but may, or may not, require only another inch or two more clearance from heather to lintel. Using a 45 degree and cutting it down would be enough. Again, its so close that shortening the 45 may not be needed. The HD HVAC 45 looks longer longer then a Duravent 45 and that alone could make a difference in clearance.

A couple questions if more room is needed. Is it a bad idea to cut the 45 and crimping it gaining another ~1 1/2" clearance? Cutting the 45 would place the angle very close to the stove top, flu collar. Would this create less draft or other concerns? This should be better then using a 90?45 Degree 2.jpg

45 Degree 1.jpg

I found this stove pipe 45 but it is very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BobMcG
Well another question you should ask yourself is then are you burning 24/7? Is wood burning to help lower your oil bill? If saving money is the game then I def would think this threw on what type of stove. If your looking for the long term of woodburning to save money then being cheap now might cost you a hell of a lot of money on woof later.

Something that was not obvious to me was Englander has a short leg option for the 30. I have also head of people just cutting the legs down a bit more if needed. Is it an exterior wall that the fireplace is on? You will get better radiant heat out of a rear vent stove sitting out a bit if that matters.

Something that was not obvious to me was Englander has a short leg option for the 30. I have also head of people just cutting the legs down a bit more if needed. Is it an exterior wall that the fireplace is on? You will get better radiant heat out of a rear vent stove sitting out a bit if that matters.

Interior fireplace. Rear vented would be nice but they cost a lot more then others, like the 30NC.