Fireplace is done. Need an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I have finally finished the brick and mantel with the surround. I drew a crappy sketch of the demensions. I have looked up what I think are solid options for me. I would definitely like a blower option. I also want to keep as much of the brick on the sides and above as possible. I will be checking out a few dealers this weekend. 3 enviro options I found. Kodiak, Venice, Boston 1200. The Venice shows trimable option for surround. Lopi answer and republic. Pacific energy vista(no dealers near RI). Regency classic, hamptom, and alterra. it is a 1600 Sq ft ranch. On picture is from the hearth facing out. The opening into the kitchen dining area is 5ft wide. 2 bed rooms in the back and one right to the left of the opening. Most of the house should receive heat. Any pros and cons to the stoves or better options? Thanks! 20180213_203917.jpg 20180215_211549.jpg 20180215_211614.jpg 20180215_212325.jpg

I have finally finished the brick and mantel with the surround. I drew a crappy sketch of the demensions. I have looked up what I think are solid options for me. I would definitely like a blower option. I also want to keep as much of the brick on the sides and above as possible. I will be checking out a few dealers this weekend. 3 enviro options I found. Kodiak, Venice, Boston 1200. The Venice shows trimable option for surround. Lopi answer and republic. Pacific energy vista(no dealers near RI). Regency classic, hamptom, and alterra. it is a 1600 Sq ft ranch. On picture is from the hearth facing out. The opening into the kitchen dining area is 5ft wide. 2 bed rooms in the back and one right to the left of the opening. Most of the house should receive heat. Any pros and cons to the stoves or better options? Thanks!View attachment 223092 View attachment 223093 View attachment 223094 View attachment 223095

I have the Enviro Cabello 1200 my only advice would be is to try & get 1700 for the longer burn times, plus it takes longer splits.
Very happy with mine other than that.

I bought an Enviro Boston 1700 and love it. Beautiful stove and fire view, burn times are as good as advertised, North/South loading is great. My advice to you would be:

1. When choosing insert size, I would err on the large size. The Enviro 1700's might be the perfect size firebox (2.5 cu ft) - large enough that you get really good burn times, but not so large (3 cu ft range) that you end up with more heat than your 1600 sqft house needs.

2. I would go for a north/south loader over an east/west loader. East/West is fine for a wood stove when you are loading from a side door, but when you only have the front door to load with, as in the case of an insert, N/S is more convenient.

3. Start hoarding wood!

I found a jotul c450 from 2005 with 16 ft of stainless steel chimney pretty close to me. I spoke with the jotul dealer today and he said the new c450 are adjustable and I could fit it in my fire box. My question is are the 2005 model stoves also adjustable? I know I will have to make a hearth pad to extend it put which is fine. The seller bought the house with the stove in it and says the demensions are 25x21.5x19.received_10213540271934716.jpeg received_10213540268774637.jpeg received_10213540268854639.jpeg received_10213540269094645.jpeg received_10213540271814713.jpeg I can't seem to find that years manual on the internet. Here are a few photos of the stove.

I have the manual for the double door C450 if you need it.

I would put in the biggest insert that fits ( and your wife likes the looks of) .......clearances can be an issue, however. I probably would have decided on a stove before i trimmed out that fireplace. Its hard to tell from pics how much room you have. I have a rockland 550 which is the next size up from that 450. I looked at the 450 and was talked out of it by the dealer. Glad i went bigger. You lose a fair amount of heat into the fireplace. My setup is not ideal, But i bet in a 1600 sq foot ranch it would heat pretty well.

I only built up the outside area. The actual fire box is from when I moved in. It had some rot on the surrounding wood due to a roof problem which I fixed when I bought the house. The 450 will fit if it is extended all the way out .(which should also put off more heat extended out). Can't believe how expensive they are though

Little confused with the 450 specs. If I have it extended out all the way only it will only sit back 12 3/4 with a width of 25 1/2, but the manual says 14 inch minimum depth. This won't work with my fireplace. It seems exactly 25 1/2 at 14 inches. The stove would be touching the bricks on both sides. This is ok? I do wish I could get it further back as I will need a hearth extension pad and I'm not sure how much the wife would like it sticking that far out. I realize it'll be better for heat though. And I was wrong the house is 1440 Sq ft. Not sure why I thought 1600.