Fireplace Masonry Work/Lintel required?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat

Nov 2, 2015
Raleigh
I will try to make this short as possible. We have a 1905 coal burning fireplace/chimney which had a brick fascia (right terminology?) added (both inside and out) the original firebox. We are having some work done to enlarge the opening for a small insert (also adding an insulated liner). They have removed the lintel which was supporting 7 courses of brick of the new fascia (which I can see, maybe more). Is a lintel required?
They also removed some of the new fascia brick from the back of the fireplace, exposing what looks like a jumbled mess of brick and mortar which a two year put together. Since this is an insert attached to a liner (fully enclosed) I assume I do not need to be concerned with CO leakage, but how about heat/fire issues with not having a solid brick wall behind the insert? I'll try to post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks

I think you are right to have some concerns. Lintels are there to provide structural support, so it stands to reason if you remove one without somehow providing that structural support in some other manner you could be headed for trouble. Your concern on heat now being able to escape the old fireplace through the area where bricks were removed is also valid. Do you know how far away combustibles are behind the fireplace where these bricks were removed? That's the first question you need to answer before you can know if you are putting your house at risk for a fire. Did the person who did this demolishen work for you have any sort of fireplace building knowledge?

Yes, you want a new lintel after raising the opening size. I believe to qualify as a masonry fireplace there should be two courses of brick or equivalent surrounding the insert.

What begreen said - plus the inner row of bricks should be firebrick, not just fascia/veneer brick. In days gone by the std was to build with 2 rows minimum, 3 rows preferred with fascia brick plus 1 row firebrick (for external wall fireplace). I'm old though - so don't go by what I might say. Heck - I have trouble remembering to zip up my pants.

Yes for a functioning fireplace it should be firebrick interior. But for putting an insert in plain old brick is just fine. And for many years there were no fire brick all fireplaces were built with plain old brick But yes you need 8" of masonry between the inside of the firebox and any combustibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.