Fireplace Re-Do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Popple

Mar 18, 2017
No MN
Hi
I'm new to your forum and looking for some help. I have an older heat-a-lator or knock off at our cabin. Works ok. Great in the spring and fall but not nearly enough heat in the winter. I would like to replace it but it is inserted and has been faced with river rock. Is there to install a stove into a unit like this without dismantling the whole front?
Thank you for looking and your help
Popple River 12-5-08 041.jpg

Hi
I'm new to your forum and looking for some help. I have an older heat-a-lator or knock off at our cabin. Works ok. Great in the spring and fall but not nearly enough heat in the winter. I would like to replace it but it is inserted and has been faced with river rock. Is there to install a stove into a unit like this without dismantling the whole front?
View attachment 196189

You might be able to depending on the clearance requirements. I'd leave the metal surround intact that's embedded in the mortar, and saw the unit out. You can always run 6" right up though the existing chimney without removing it.

I'd leave the metal surround intact that's embedded in the mortar, and saw the unit out.
That is a zeroclearance unit so no you cant cut any of it out without removing all of it and starting over pretty much

Hi
View attachment 196189
Is there a make and model listed on a plate somewhere on the fireplace?

That is a zeroclearance unit so no you cant cut any of it out without removing all of it and starting over pretty much

I see what you are saying, the left side looks pretty embedded in the mortar.

As far as the rocks go, a bag of thinset is $15, or a bag of type S mortar is $5. It won't hurt the rocks to pop them out and then put them back, as long as you are somewhat gentle about breaking them out of the old mortar.

Replacing the fireplace itself will be a project, but I wouldn't decide yes or no on that because of the rock facing.

Reactions: Gwynthie