Fireplace repairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Griz27bear

Oct 21, 2017
Gate City Virginia
The metal in the back of my fireplace is rotted and needs replacing. The Chimney people cam out and suggested cutting out the bad parts on the bottom and welding plate steel over it in its place. Is this a good solution?

If this is a heatform style fireplace then the repair may work, but I would first check the smokeshelf and damper area very closely to make sure decay is not progressing there also. If so, this might be only a temporary repair. Do they know what caused the rust out in the first place? Has that issue been remedied?

Another solution might be to install an insert into the fireplace with an insulated liner.

Reactions: bholler
According to the chimney people when they came out everything else looked good. They did replace the damper and also replaced the cap on the chimney. They said all that was needed was to cut out the bad parts and weld in plate steel and to add fire retardant concrete at the base. If the integrity of the chimney is truly intact what thickness should the steel plates be?

That's up to the company doing the repair. I would think that the metal gauge should match or exceed the original metal thickness.

According to the chimney people when they came out everything else looked good. They did replace the damper and also replaced the cap on the chimney. They said all that was needed was to cut out the bad parts and weld in plate steel and to add fire retardant concrete at the base. If the integrity of the chimney is truly intact what thickness should the steel plates be?
I think I would get a second opinion. I find it very hard to believe that the damper and back wall are bad enough to need replacement and the shelf is fine

Do all metal fireplace forms have smoke shelves? I think we had one posted here recently that didn't appear to have one.

Last edited:
Do all metal fireplace forms have smoke shelves? I think we had one posted here recently that didn't appear to have one.
I can't say for sure that they all do but I havnt seen any yet that didn't have one.

This is the thread. Take your heart pills before viewing. It doesn't appear to have a smokeshelf. Not sure the make, maybe Vestalaire?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/help-with-wood-burning-fireplace.163744/
Yeah I saw that one. To me it looks like a standard platform that they covered the top exit and cut a pipe into the back of the metal smoke chamber. I think it probably does still have a shelf but I can't be sure from those pics.

And that is a new one I have never seen anything like it.

And that is a new one I have never seen anything like it.
I hadn't either. Vestal says they have been making them for a while. I downloaded the manual and the VestalAire fireplace has a full width smokeshelf. The manual is dated 1993.

I called the chimney people who had worked on our fireplace, replacing the damper and the cap and they reported to me that they feel as though the rest of the chimney IS in good shape except for the metal in the rear of the fireplace. They suggested cutting out the rotted out bottom half and welding in some plate steel in its place. I am thinking about using 1/4 inch thickness but instead of just the bottom I'm thinking I am going to go from the bottom all the way up the back to where the taper begins. On the sides I will go from the bottom to the same height of the back piece. Any additional suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The smoke shelf is up, behind the damper. You may be able to inspect this yourself. Use a bright light and a mirror if necessary. Poke at the metal back there with a screwdriver to make sure it's solid.
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.14.24 AM.png

1/4" steel is overkill, IMO. Many modern stoves are 5/16" on top and 3/16" sides, some less.