Fireplace tools smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slate

Nov 14, 2012
Central CT
This has happened with two different shovels and an ash hoe - All different brands. When i have big bed of really hot coals, I stick the tool in to spread them around. Pull tool out and its smoking, giving off acrid smell. Concerns wife of course. It seems like a coating burning off. Anyone know?

First post. First year burning 24-7. Learned a ton from this forum. Thank you.

Reactions: ScotO
I would guess it's the paint burning off if it's a painted tool. My ash bucket that's on it's third year smoked pretty good a few days ago when I shoveled out coals so I could clean the chimney.

It's gotta be the paint.

Yeah I had to run out of the basement a few years ago when I was pushing stuff in the F3 with a new shovel when the paint caught fire.

Same thing happened to me a few days into being a new burner last year, ran out of the house with it smoking like a SOB. I was lucky enough to find a local guy that makes cast iron tools and threw out all the painted stuff.
Painted Tools + Fire = Stink :)

Yuppers, it is the paint...do it a few more times and it will be gone and stop doing it.

Stick it in there and let it all burn off, otherwise your gonna stink up the house many more times, my new shovel did that a couple of times and my wife would come down and yell at me for stinking the house up (I should return the favor when she cooks ;)) so I let it all burn off in one shot and now no stinko.

Yep my tools set done the same thing.

or better yet when you do a burn pile outside take the tools out and put them in the coals there....no stink ever

I repaint my tools every summer. Trust these guys.. it's the paint curing and/or burning off.

I had an el Cheapo set that stunk like crazy. After looking at them it closely I found that they weren't painted....they were friggin powder coated! Which is basically a layer of hard plastic......man did they stink!

Burned all the powder coating off of them and they are fine now.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Why would the manufacturers paint tools that will be exposed to such extreme heat?

Agreed. I have the original tools from our 1979 Resolute. They are unpainted and look almost as good as when we got them, though they are a bit more ashen now.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Why would the manufacturers paint tools that will be exposed to such extreme heat?

For looks. Painted things look prettier. However, it is the same thing with stove pipe and even with stoves. Fire them up the first time or two and they sometimes smoke a lot and stink too. This is the reason some choose to set up a new stove outdoors and put a length or two of pipe on it then fire it up. Get that paint smell out before it even gets to the house.

I didnt think mine where wainted, turns out they were painted black... after i notived the problem I let them sit in a big coal bed and the doors closed as much as possible with the handles sitting out and let the paint burn off.

They done smell anymore, sometimes smoke a little, but thats probably not the metal poker, but the stuff thats on the poker, soot and whatnot.

Mine were dirt cheap from a garage sale - no smell - so I'd think paint too.

I made my own and would never think to paint them?? I do understand why manufacturers do it to avoid rust but still seems silly.

I want to see the "Cast Iron" tools mentioned above? Are you sure they are cast or did you mean wrought? Which likely is not true wrought and just mild steel because wrought is somewhat rare anymore. Only one place manufacturing it and they are in England - it is all recycled stuff. We have many tons at the fab shop from old bridges.

I would think cast tools would not last too long and would shatter if stressed - especially with the hot/cold.

This is my shovel for the fireplace........circa 1740......
It don't smoke at all, and its been around for quite a while......
One of the rams horns broke off of the handle eons ago, I'll be repairing that someday. They don't make tools like they used to.....

2013-02-19_19-28-50_422.jpg

Scotty if you have the original or could get me dimentions on the existing rams horn(trace it as best as possible) I could hammer one out for you at the forge. With a little grinding and a mig it would be an easy install and the price would be right - FREE

That is if I ever find time to get back to the forge - been busy lately with work and it is firewood gathering season in my free time.

I am sure you are not in a hurry :) and if it is true wrought I have plenty of that to make it as original as possible

Scotty if you have the original or could get me dimentions on the existing rams horn(trace it as best as possible) I could hammer one out for you at the forge. With a little grinding and a mig it would be an easy install and the price would be right - FREE

That is if I ever find time to get back to the forge - been busy lately with work and it is firewood gathering season in my free time.

I am sure you are not in a hurry :) and if it is true wrought I have plenty of that to make it as original as possible
Thanks, Bob! I'll let you know. I may make it myself on my buddy's forge, as my forge is still in pieces in my shop.....
I have some antique wrought spikes and nails laying around, an old square nail with a little work would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.