Fireview: Single or Double Wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
I purchased a new Fireview two months ago and am getting ready to install her. I have an exterior triple wall metal chimney that runs along the house for approx 18'. The pipe coming out of the back of the stove goes up approx 4' and then another 90 elbow where it connects to the outside chimney. With the Garrison I the interior pipe would get red hot and in cold weather I would get excellent draft. I was always using wet wood in the past so there are a couple of variables to consider. I have 5.5 cords of Red Oak and Maple that will be seasoned 18+ months before going into the Fireview from now on! I have the stove in a finished basement with a drop ceiling. My stovepipe comes within 6" of the drop ceiling before exiting outside (that is the way it was when I bought the house). I know the Blazeking recommends double wall pipe and I am worried about the lower stack temps of the cat stove. Either way I will be coming up with a solution for the drop ceiling, such as removing the tiles above the pipe and installing heat shields on the pipe as well. I have another 8"+ to the floor above. I had a couple of issues with draft when first using the stove but was unsure if it could have been the wood I was burning (Red Oak). Last winter I switched to a draft inducing chimney cap and burned Maple. Much better draft but now with the new stove I will be lowering the temps in the chimney quite a bit. My question is: Is it worth getting double wall stove pipe to increase draft for the Fireview?

When I bought my Fireview I was also worried about the draft of my outside walled masonry chimney and was thinking the same as you. I ended up going with single wall pipe and a heat shield on top of the horizontal run to protect the drop ceiling which is about 14" from the pipe. The draft is great, this stove has plenty of air to give. The air setting numbers are 0-4 and I burn mine at .5-1 most of the time, so I still have plenty of air to spare. I also think the single wall pipe gives you a little extra heat over the double wall.

Since you already have the single wall, I'd give that a try first. Chances are the single wall will be fine. I'd start with burning all that red maple before touching any of the red oak. Red maple seasons very fast and red oak takes AT LEAST 18 months before I'd even consider burning it... and preferably 2+ years.

Regarding that drop ceiling, you might want to consider installing a thin panel(s) of Durock in that drop ceiling bay(s) close to the flue. It will work well as a fire barrier / heat shield and would likely match the surrounding ceiling tiles fairly well if painted with high temp white paint.

Not sure if you meant hard maple or soft. If soft, then I'd recommend mixing the wood that you burn. The soft maple burns hot and quick and gives a good boost to the oak which will hold the longer fire.

On the pipe, I do not see any reason to go with double but definitely I would put in something for a heat shield. Also on that horizontal section, make sure there is 1/4" rise per foot instead of being level.

Status
Not open for further replies.