Firewood delivery - nit picking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Hi All - just wondering if I'm being a bit too particular.
The regular delivery guy was on vacation, so I'm making allowances....

Ordered 2 cord. Keep in mind that they deliver in the road, and I need to move it ASAP.
Wood was delivered on Saturday. Very short and I knew it. I moved it to the back and stacked it quick and dirty so I could confirm what was delivered. 1 cord. Another delivery on Monday that was smaller than the previous. Guy came back a third time with more.

Assuming their wood is 18" (fair I think), I am short 16" on an 8' stack. Am I being fussy, or are we in the realm of 'close enough' in the world of firewood?

The regular guy came today, said it was 2 cords and is sticking to it. 'People have gotten less and they're not complaining'. Really not a valid defense....
Stacks as follow:

4x96"x18"x48" H
1x96"x18"x36" H
1x96"x18"x12"H

The math:
2 cords 442368 cu"
delivered 414720 cu"
short 27648 cu" = 96x18x16"H

Thanks
Gabe

That’s frustrating. Is it dry at least. Like you split at piece and checked with moisture meter. I’ve yet to hear of a company on the island that delivers good dry wood. It’s like getting a insulated liner!! Seasoned one year is all anyone boast about. Good luck

Based on your calculations it was 6% short, so I'd pay 6% less. Say it was $250/cord you are talking $30 worth of wood. I've never bought firewood so I'm not sure how nitpiticky this is in the world of firewood sales but it would be enough to annoy me.

That’s frustrating. Is it dry at least. Like you split at piece and checked with moisture meter. I’ve yet to hear of a company on the island that delivers good dry wood. It’s like getting a insulated liner!! Seasoned one year is all anyone boast about. Good luck
Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. I didn't test it for that exact reason. Nobody has dry wood. Ideally I would buy for next year, but I don't have the real estate for 4 cord. I need to re-stack anyway, so I try to sort the better wood separately. I have about 2 stacks left from last year, so hopefully the wood is good enough if I mix in some of the older wood with it.

Based on your calculations it was 6% short, so I'd pay 6% less. Say it was $250/cord you are talking $30 worth of wood. I've never bought firewood so I'm not sure how nitpiticky this is in the world of firewood sales but it would be enough to annoy me.
Hi Zack
This was $190/cord so the 6% = $23 in this case. Sale was COD. Still annoying, but I think my only recourse is a less than favorable Yelp review. Its a shame because I get both wood and mulch from them, but they're not the only game in town.

Thanks for the reply

I had wood delivered once.
4ft x 16" x 21ft to 24ft stacked is what I was told.

According to that, you're within "tolerance".
You paid $265/cord instead of $250 - I wouldn't quibble. Too many variables.

Reactions: JimBear
I had wood delivered once.
4ft x 16" x 21ft to 24ft stacked is what I was told.

According to that, you're within "tolerance".
You paid $265/cord instead of $250 - I wouldn't quibble. Too many variables.
Paid less than that ( $202 instead of $190) , but I hear what you're saying.

Thanks

I would agree with showrguy, 6% could be the variation in how it's stacked, hardly a reason to make a stink. Now, if it happens consistently, one needs to calculate the true cost and proceed accordingly. Even if it's a bit short it still may be the best buy around......

Seems to be the consensus.
Thank you

Off topic, your avatar photo looks like an old English four cylinder. Perhaps from a midget.

Another vote for letting it go . . . depending on how one stacks you could end up under or over a cord. For example, I cross stack my ends. Even just stacking straight however can make a difference as some folks like to have a "loose" stack to allow air flow while other folks may stack tight.

Off topic, your avatar photo looks like an old English four cylinder. Perhaps from a midget.

Nailed it! ‘74 Midget. I lost interest and sold everything a couple months ago.

Gabe

Reactions: Soundchasm
Another vote for letting it go . . . depending on how one stacks you could end up under or over a cord. For example, I cross stack my ends. Even just stacking straight however can make a difference as some folks like to have a "loose" stack to allow air flow while other folks may stack tight.

Thanks. Yes, I was going to give a call and tell them we’re good. Don’t want to be a difficult customer.

The wood was quickly cross stacked in the yard. Its ‘final resting place’ has either trees or posts to support the ends. I kind of like it where it is, but the wife won’t have it....

Gabe

If ya need some help, I gotta guy !!!! He'll get you through !

Reactions: Fod01
I have a guy I use and he's great!(will cut to my lengths and types of wood, ect.) That said he is not great on amounts. I got 1.5 cords from him last year and after stacking I got more like 1 cord. Then got another 1/2 cord and it was almost 1 cord. lol