firewood in Arizona?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tone

Oct 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
My daughter lives is Tucson and just had a wood stove installed. She paid $40 for half of a 40" hoop of pine!
I wouldn't think a wood stove would be needed down there but it's been going down into the 30's at night lately and the house has no insulation. The cost to run her gas furnace is very expensive and besides, she just wanted a wood stove.

Does anyone know why kinds of firewoods are available in that desert region, and maybe a supplier?

Thanks

Used to live in Phoenix. Firewood is tuff to find there but there are someplaces. Tell her to look for Mesquit ( SP? ) good hardwood and burns almost as good as Oak. Problem is alot BBQ places use it so it can get pricey if she cant find the right supplier. That Pine was a rip off

The easy, expensive answer: A cord of Pecan can be had from the US's largest irrigated pecan orchard for $230. You load.

Mesquite is cheap (free) and plentiful if you will do the cutting.

If she buys mesquite tell here to be careful with that stuff and don't pack the stove with it. Stuff burns like gasoline when it is good and dry.

BB - Native Texan who has burned a bunch of mesquite.

precaud said:
BrotherBart said:
BB - Native Texan
That explains the pleasantly colorful commentary :)

I know a guy that says the main function of New Mexico is to protect Arizona from Texas.

BrotherBart said:
I know a guy that says the main function of New Mexico is to protect Arizona from Texas.
Yeah, we're gentle but tough, and they don't pay us enough for doing it, either.

I have yet to grok what Texas' main function might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.