Firewood storage area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never worry about working slowly, I'm no speed merchant.......... ;-)

Good idea to crib every 8ft. or so if your going with the single row-n-space layout.

OK, gang. Here's the final product. Three 30-foot long stacks of wood, each roughly five feet high. It's about 4.5 cords of wood, which should get us through the winter.

The first row in back was done with cross stacks on the ends and a couple more in the middle. The other two were done with T-stakes on the ends and two lengths of rope running the length of the stack - one string at about 18 inches, the other at about three feet. Those two stacks seem much more secure than the one with the cribbing.

Gotta say I think cribbing looks good, but it's a pain in the ass and it's hard to do right. My first row is leaning precariously on one end due to the cross stacks. I'm thinking of bracing it against the middle stack with a couple of logs or 4x4s remnants somehow so it doesn't topple.

Next year I think I'm going to add T posts in the middle of the run for additional strength.

All in all, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. I really like the way it looks. I almost don't want to burn that wood.

I just hoping that first row stays upright somehow.

Attachments

• Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 484
  • Wood 3.jpg
    Wood 3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 483
Looks good Stegman, you split all that yourself or buy it c/s/d/?

Nope, bought it split and stacked it myself. Guy quoted me $190 a cord but said he'd go lower if I paid cash. I ended up getting it for $170 a cord.

It's mostly ash with some cherry and maple mixed in. Got the last delivery a bit later than I would have liked, but my guy was sidetracked for a few weeks helping folks dig out from the tornado we had up here back in June.

You should be proud welcome to the ediction :zip:

Seeing everybody's woodsheds and wood stacks has me pretty jealous. Right now, I am trying to figure out where I can put a wood shed on my property and still get enough sun and wind on the pile of wood. I actually know where it would be best, but I am not sure about what we are going to do with that area of the yard and it is a rather long ways from the basement door where the furance is going to be. You guys are killing me. Probably going to have to slum it with some cheap racks this season and work on a woodshed come next spring.

Stegman said:
I'm thinking of bracing it against the middle stack with a couple of logs or 4x4s remnants somehow so it doesn't topple.

Stacks look great. A 2x4 at a 45 should do the trick especially if you do it soon. Gets harder as the stack leans further.

That looks great. I like the layout that you've done.

Stegman, the final looks excellent. Your stacks look as good as zap's. Now I'll have to practice to see if we can have some nice looking stacks on our place.

Stegman said:
I almost don't want to burn that wood.

Easy to say now, just wait until January.......

But I must admit, they are brilliant stacks, very neat :)

Jees,

The photos of the shed and the pallet operation make me so jealous. I like the gravel base. I feel like a slug next to you guys. If anyone like Carbon ever moves into my area, I"ll move out. Man alive. That is a beautiful operation. Can everyone imagine if some gung-ho township supervisor or city manager sees carbon's beautiful set up and decides to codify it in the local zoning laws. I can only imagine what that law would look like

Property Owner Choosing to Burn wood must have:

1) Neat single toned painted multi-bay wood drying and storage facility;
2) Standing seam steel roof must not clash with chosen paint;
3) Kindling box should be neat (not like Little sparks rusty wheelbarrow)
4) Separate storage section for splitting and wood handling tools must be integrated into the design of the shed; and,
5) Wood must be stacked in such a way where splits don't appear to conflict with full rounds leading to a picture of natural harmony.

I can only imagine that the splits on the roof are because when you wood was airdropped in neat immaculately wrapped bundles a couple broke open.

Littlespark

Littlespark said:
Jees,

The photos of the shed and the pallet operation make me so jealous. I like the gravel base. I feel like a slug next to you guys. If anyone like Carbon ever moves into my area, I"ll move out. Man alive. That is a beautiful operation. Can everyone imagine if some gung-ho township supervisor or city manager sees carbon's beautiful set up and decides to codify it in the local zoning laws. I can only imagine what that law would look like

Property Owner Choosing to Burn wood must have:

1) Neat single toned painted multi-bay wood drying and storage facility;
2) Standing seam steel roof must not clash with chosen paint;
3) Kindling box should be neat (not like Little sparks rusty wheelbarrow)
4) Separate storage section for splitting and wood handling tools must be integrated into the design of the shed; and,
5) Wood must be stacked in such a way where splits don't appear to conflict with full rounds leading to a picture of natural harmony.

I can only imagine that the splits on the roof are because when you wood was airdropped in neat immaculately wrapped bundles a couple broke open.

Littlespark
Don't laugh, there is a community close to me that does regulate fire wood stacks, YIKES :ahhh:

SolarAndWood said:
Stegman said:
I'm thinking of bracing it against the middle stack with a couple of logs or 4x4s remnants somehow so it doesn't topple.

Stacks look great. A 2x4 at a 45 should do the trick especially if you do it soon. Gets harder as the stack leans further.

Thanks for the idea, Solar. Did that tonight when I got home. I lucked out, too, because I was able to wedge the 2x4 between an adjacent fence post to our garden at the top and between the slats in the pallet down below, so it's got some good support. I then jammed another 2x4 in vertically between the first 2x4 and the stack. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.