Firewood storage ideas.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
In the next couple of weeks I want to erect a simple structure for storing my firewood in. I am thinking about sinking poles into the ground and framing a sloped roof over it. Being the frugal type I would like to spend as little as possible, I am wondering if ash would be suitable for the upright poles or would it rot quicker than say cedar. I have ash available on my property but if it wouldn't last I could scrounge some cedar at work. I am thinking of using aspenite (chipboard) for the roof cover with rolled roofing or shingles whichever I can get cheapest. I will be stacking the wood on pallets which I already have. Any input would be appreciated

Here's one I saw at a camp on a lake in NH last week. This has a pallet floor and does have some 4x4s in the corners but the poles make good walls and leave plenty of room for air. I understand they tack plastic around it during the winter.

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,324
If you have access to cedar it will certainly outlast the ash by a good bit. If not, one way of helping to slow down rot on the portion you'll bury is to soak that portion in preservative allowing the endgrain to drink it's fill, let it dry then tar it. If the fill you're burying it in doesn't drain well replace it with sand and gravel to help keep as much moisture away from the post as possible. It'll last a good while underground.

Get some used drain oil from a diesel, put in pail and soak ends in it. Works great, farmers have been doing this for a long time.

Here is how I store some of my wood!

The glass porch is great because there is almost a constant breeze blowing through.
Works great I store the newer wood to the back toward the glass and older & soft wood towards the door to the house.
Still have to stack another 2 cords in there by November.

On the 5 ft high pallets, I can leave the wood on there to season in the driveway and when ready I can use a pallet jack and roll them into the garage before the first snow fall.

The 8'x7' racks are to high (safety factor) and once that wood is seasoned they will be cut down to 4' high (face cord) size. They will get covered by December 1st.

Just trying different methods to see what works the best!

Hope this helps! :)

2cr55oo.jpg

f2ipzs.jpg

2mpa7h5.jpg

vglhu9.jpg

11lu9tk.jpg

Hiram Maxim said:
Here is how I store some of my wood!

The glass porch is great because there is almost a constant breeze blowing through.
Works great I store the newer wood to the back toward the glass and older & soft wood towards the door to the house.
Still have to stack another 2 cords in there by November.

On the 5 ft high pallets, I can leave the wood on there to season in the driveway and when ready I can use a pallet jack and roll them into the garage before the first snow fall.

The 8'x7' racks are to high (safety factor) and once that wood is seasoned they will be cut down to 4' high (face cord) size. They will get covered by December 1st.

Just trying different methods to see what works the best!

Hope this helps! :)

2cr55oo.jpg

f2ipzs.jpg

2mpa7h5.jpg

vglhu9.jpg

11lu9tk.jpg
Now thats a whole new leval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife would either kill me or send me off to the funny farm if I stored firewood in a nice porch like that! :lol:

Todd said:
My wife would either kill me or send me off to the funny farm if I stored firewood in a nice porch like that! :lol:

I'm a bachelor...... :coolsmile: and by Spring its all been made in to wonderful heat.

It beats the hell out of bringing in wet dirty wood in February! :shut:

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

I'm a bachelor...... :coolsmile: and by Spring its all been made in to wonderful heat.

It beats the hell out of bringing in wet dirty wood in February! :shut:
its the best storage i have seen

Nothing wrong with a little wet dirty wood every now and then.

Hiram I can't believe you would foul up a beautiful sun porch like that with fire wood...that's has to take the record as the most F'ed up thing I've every seen. Sorry to be harsh but I'm not running for office...that's is just so F'ed up and that's all I can say.

I would be nervous stacking wood in glass house. You have bigger cojones that me.

myzamboni said:
I would be nervous stacking wood in glass house. You have bigger cojones that me.

:lol:

myzamboni said:

Its all good. Just don't throw rocks at people.

Status
Not open for further replies.