Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Labfriend

Dec 23, 2018
Virginia
Hello all, this is my second year with my Boston Enviro insert. I have learned alot lurking here and putting the suggestions into practice.

I have a question about how long firewood will last split and unsplit. I have the opportunity to get a few of oak trees a neighbor is cutting down It will probably be enough to last me 4 or 5 years based on my current burn rate and i do not want to waste it if it will just rot. Thanks for the advice.

Hello all, this is my second year with my Boston Enviro insert. I have learned alot lurking here and putting the suggestions into practice.

I have a question about how long firewood will last split and unsplit. I have the opportunity to get a few of oak trees a neighbor is cutting down It will probably be enough to last me 4 or 5 years based on my current burn rate and i do not want to waste it if it will just rot. Thanks for the advice.
Get it cut split stacked and covered it will last many years

Reactions: D8Chumley
I am new to this also but I have some ash that was dead when I cut it and It has been stacked for 3 years with no sign of rot

Keep it off the ground and it will last for years

Thanks for the advice. It is mainly white oak i think. I have been looking at some previous posts and it looks like it will be a bear to split. I use an ax , sledge and wedges so it should be fun.

I have some hickory that was processed early 2016 that I am burning now, follow bholler's advice and it will last many years.

Last edited:
Like the others said. Keep it covered from the elements yet allow sun and wind to pass thru and it will store for years.
I prefer a shed but other methods work fine too.

Get it cut split stacked and covered it will last many years
Are these live trees?
Get it split, stacked and covered ASAP. Oak especially needs to be top-covered to keep the sapwood from rotting..Red Oak more than White.
Thanks for the advice. It is mainly white oak i think. I have been looking at some previous posts and it looks like it will be a bear to split. I use an ax , sledge and wedges so it should be fun.
White isn't too bad to split if it's a live blow-down. But these sound like yard trees, and may have a lot of branching, which makes splitting tougher.
Post a pic if you can of the bark. If not, look up the tree a ways and if the bark gets shaggy, almost like Shagbark Hickory, it's White Oak.