First axe for splitting cord wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withoutink

Sep 16, 2015
North Georgia
I'm about to have a ZC Fireplace installed and I will be buying precut / seasoned cord wood. Most everything should be split already, although I was told there will be pieces I'll need to further split in the load, plus process kindling?

As such, I need to buy an axe. I was looking at:

GB Small Forest Axe
GB Scandinavian Forest Axe
GB Large Splitting Axe
Wetterlings 121
Husqvarna Large Splitting Axe
Fiskars x27

I'm 5'11"

What would you get to split the occasional missed cord logs, and to process kindling?

I'm about to have a ZC Fireplace installed and I will be buying precut / seasoned cord wood. Most everything should be split already, although I was told there will be pieces I'll need to further split in the load, plus process kindling?

As such, I need to buy an axe. I was looking at:

GB Small Forest Axe
GB Scandinavian Forest Axe
GB Large Splitting Axe
Wetterlings 121
Husqvarna Large Splitting Axe
Fiskars x27

I'm 5'11"

What would you get to split the occasional missed cord logs, and to process kindling?

You won't be sorry with the Fiskars!

Reactions: mtarbert
I just got super splitting axe by Fiskars from my local Walmart for about $45 on sale. It's similar to X 27, same size. Liked it better over yellow stuff from HD I also have. I have splitter, so it's perfect for part time splitting.

P.S.: I don't believe that you can buy "seasoned" wood. Never happened to me. I tried many times. I'd rather cut and split it myself. And then let it dry properly.

Reactions: Jon1270
GB small forest axe and Scandinavian forest axe are not designed for splitting. They are designed for cutting. You will waste much money and be sorely disappointed by performance trying to split with those two. The large splitting axe works very well.

Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
X27. Got one this season and have been very impressed. It lives up to the hype.

I prefer an old wooden handled 6 lb axe eye maul for splitting rounds... but the Fiskars does work well.

For just splitting splits into smaller splits though, I'll usually grab my 3.5 lb Jersey pattern axe. No, it's not designed for splitting, but it also doesn't take much energy to split a split. 90% will split first try. And it's a good deal easier to swing than the Fiskars or maul. Silly to waste energy when it's not needed.

For kindling? Either a boy's axe or the fireside friend that was mentioned earlier.

Thanks guys. I will try the Fiskars, but I may get a heirloom axe too. Something to pass down to my son. Appreciate the help so far.

Ebay. If you know how to re-hang an axe head (it's not hard), you can find cool old American made axes for a fraction of the cost of a new Gransfors Bruks.

If you want something new, the velvicut line of axes being made by Council Tool are quite nice. I don't own one, but have heard nothing but good things.

X27, they were on sale for $40 at BJ's last time I looked. Others may be better, but for the price they cannot be beaten.

I have a Husqvarna large splitting ax and I love it. If you keep it properly sharp it makes easy work of the rounds. I'd recommend picking up a few wedges and a sledge hammer just in case you run into something your ax/maul can't handle.

Yes get a couple wedges, you will need them sometime. I found mine at estate sales along with the maul to pound them. Don't hit them with the X 27.

I don't use a Fiskars, but I hear nothing but praise about it here so that's your best bet. You'll also need a few steel wedges and a sledgehammer. Don't forget your Safety Glasses!

I found the Fiskars to work a lot better than you think it would, for its weight. Something about the head profile paired with speed makes it perform great. You'll need to get used to throttling back your swing depending on the wood. Otherwise you'll bury it in your chopping block, and make the dogs nervous from flying wood!:)

So this arrived. :)

f1da61639858963972dfe0792f914c3f.jpg

I use a HD maul with the plastic handle. You can't kill them. I think there are two weights. I have the bigger one, maybe 8 lbs. I may be to much weight for some if you can't get the head speed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Withoutink
And Fiskars have wonderful customer service. They even replaced my ax when I got a big chip on the blade. All I had to do was send them a picture of it and they replaced it right away.

Reactions: Withoutink
Status
Not open for further replies.