Long term review of fiskars x27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vg3200p

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2021
Clinton county indiana
Let me start off by saying I'm very hard on things. I break most axes within 2 cords of use. I was convinced the x27 with its hollow handle was a gimmick when I bought it. But this thing is awesome. I've used this for 95% of my splitting the last 2 years. I'm guessing it's processed around 20 cords. I can't beak it. Countless overstrikes to the handle. I process my wood on my asphalt driveway. Countless overswings where the head hits the asphalt like the on pictured below that was from today. Only fiskars tool I own so can't talk about the rest of thier line but the x27 is the best splitting g tool I've ever owned by far. Only maintenence has been the occasional sharpening with a file

20221023_151307.jpg 20221023_151322.jpg 20221023_151334.jpg 20221023_151351.jpg 20221023_152000.jpg

I have to agree with your assessment.

Have you ever tried a splitting block with a tire on it?
Screw the tire to the block through the sidewall,the tire holds the wood from flying off the splitting block,allowing you to split it without having to pick up the wood to re split it.

Reactions: cahaak
You have my respect if you split wood by hand. I could never go back after buying a splitter. And after my first year of splitting wood one piece at a time, I quickly learned different methods to split MUCH faster. Like putting all the rounds in a circle then using a large ratchet strap to bind them all together than just going to town splitting them.

I have about 5 cords on my fiskars. And I concur with the OP.
I did by the fiskars maul as well. For 2' rounds, rather than slicing slabs off the side as I used to do to get them started, I prefer to halve them. The maul (get it in there) and sledge (to actually get it through there) allow that.

But once it's been halved, it's the x27 all the way.

I have about 5 cords on my fiskars. And I concur with the OP.
I did by the fiskars maul as well. For 2' rounds, rather than slicing slabs off the side as I used to do to get them started, I prefer to halve them. The maul (get it in there) and sledge (to actually get it through there) allow that.

But once it's been halved, it's the x27 all the way.
Stovliker is the maul as good as the x27? If it is I might have to pick one up. My current maul is one i made and it probably wieghs 25 lbs. And wears my butt out

It's good too. But for different reasons. It's heavier than the x27, and it's softer metal. More like a conventional maul. But you want that (or I want that) because putting a sledge hammer on hard metal is not going to end well.

I like it, it's weight is good for me (forgot how much), and I like the big rear to hit with a sledge.

It's less different than a normal maul than the x27 is different from a normal splitting axe, imo.

The handle is as good as for the x27.

You have my respect if you split wood by hand. I could never go back after buying a splitter. And after my first year of splitting wood one piece at a time, I quickly learned different methods to split MUCH faster. Like putting all the rounds in a circle then using a large ratchet strap to bind them all together than just going to town splitting them.
Same. I’ve never understood those who like to split by hand. I do respect them, though, especially if they have the maul in their hands. I do burn 98% hedge, and that doesn’t split well by hand, although it can be done. I remember a time I was in Quebec, and a friend said he needed help splitting wood. I went there and got handed a maul. I thought, “This is ridiculous.” Then I split the first piece (birch, I think). The maul went straight through and the pieces flew in two directions. A huge difference from splitting a 24” diameter twisted hedge.

Reactions: Tar12 and Vg3200p
Species is everything. Here mostly fresh red oak (easy), ash (easy), cherry (easy), and (some kind of) maple (fairly easy), and pitch pine (fairly easy).

But I mostly get straight trunks.

Can't compare as one never knows what the other has.

I work for a landscape company. We sell fire wood and I use a splitter at work. Is it way faster and easier yes! By alot. But I get so much more satisfaction and enjoyment out of doing it by hand. So I've made a decision that as long as my body is able that all my personal wood will be split by hand. I find it enjoyable and so fulfilling when you can sit by your stove on a cold night and know you busted your ass for the heat

That ^^

I got three years ahead in one (covid lockdown) spring. And I've missed it ever since. Last year I didn't need to split anything, but this spring I can go again 😎

Reactions: Vg3200p
Probably 20 cords, mostly pine with mine. Zero complaints, only likes. The altitude finally got the best of me though and I bought a splitter (Brave dual split) last year. I miss the exercise but being able to breathe ranks right up there on the list of positives.

Maybe I should try one. I’m resistant to the modern style and plastic. (Maybe that seems silly) I like making my own handles, shaving them down and oiling them occasionally.
All I hear is rave reviews about the Fiskars though.
I have a log splitter for tough stuff, but being a somewhat ambitious weekend burner, I can afford to be selective about my wood. I will walk right past a Sweet Gum and Bradford Pear tree every time. I can process oak and hickory with a maul faster than I can with a splitter.

Never
Maybe I should try one. I’m resistant to the modern style and plastic. (Maybe that seems silly) I like making my own handles, shaving them down and oiling them occasionally.
All I hear is rave reviews about the Fiskars though.
I have a log splitter for tough stuff, but being a somewhat ambitious weekend burner, I can afford to be selective about my wood. I will walk right past a Sweet Gum and Bradford Pear tree every time. I can process oak and hickory with a maul faster than I can with a splitter.
I was thought the plastic handle was dumb to. But it works great. Dunno about sweet gum but Bradford pear is good fire wood. It's dense and splits easy

I bought my X27 years ago. I had read nothing but excellent reviews but like some of you was like this is a gimmick and an expensive one at 60 plus dollars my Wife and I were walking through BJ Warehouse(like a Sam's club) one day and they had them there. Instant rebate at the register and you pay 36 bucks. It was a no brainer. I bought it. Took it home and started splitting, was super impressed. My Dad and Uncle came to see this thing in action. They had been splitting wood for decades and was super impressed. Needless to say I went back and bought 3 more.

I used to split all my wood by hand. It probably made a minor hernia act up but it probably would have been an issue later. I still use the Fiskars X-27 at my wood lot. if its straight grain white birch, I give it pop, if it splits, great if not if goes home to the splitter. The think with white birch is its great firewood but its need to be split at least once as soon as its on the ground or it could start rotting. I also tend to do the same with maple, not much a rot issue but easier to throw in the truck.

I have started to break rounds down lately just to help with loading. I'm not getting any younger, so why not? The fiberglass handle (I don't like em) on my splitting axe broke last month, so I might take a look at fiskars to get me through until I make a new handle. (Then I'll have 2)

I have started to break rounds down lately just to help with loading. I'm not getting any younger, so why not? The fiberglass handle (I don't like em) on my splitting axe broke last month, so I might take a look at fiskars to get me through until I make a new handle. (Then I'll have 2)
Just a guess Isaac. But if you get the x27 even if you fix your other one you'll wanna use the x27 99% of the time

I’m resistant to the modern style and plastic. (Maybe that seems silly)
I was initially hesitant, but after all positive testimonials on the site I figured there must be something to the X-27 hype. They were right.
Fiskars X-27 has limits (connection to the human engine, and it won't go through ugly, knotty, or impossible woods like sweetgum), but the design and construction are very solid. If doing a side-by-side with old style splitting maul, it definitely splits easier, quicker, more efficiently, and with less effort. It's not a panacea but you'll find more splits pop on first attempt and more marginal splits are ultimately successfully split. I split all my scrounged wood and have been very pleased with X-27. More of your energy effectively transferred to mechanical advantage of split. I use it 75% of the time.
I also own Stihl (manufactured by Ochsenkopf ) splitting hammer/ maul (Big Ox) Ochsenkopf big-ox
It's beautiful, but heavier, and I'm not as deft swinging it, but it plows through stringier stuff.​

This is definitely where the X27 shines. I split all my wood nowadays with a hydraulic splitter. However the X27 often makes an appearance to split up rounds into more manageable sizes to get them to the splitter. Even though my splitter can run both vertically and horizontally, it is easier for me to split large rounds into a few smaller pieces with the X27 rather than try and roll them over to the splitter in one huge piece.

I have about two years on my X27, like others have said it is really the only tool I use when hand splitting. The old axes and mauls stay at home.
I have a system that involves both hand splitting and hydraulic splitting. Early in the season before the heavier snows I head to the woods and scope out the trees that are down or that I am going to process that year. I work up the tops and moderate sized stuff, up to something like 8 or 10 inches. It almost all gets split on the spot and hauled out to the wood piles on my Polaris Ranger. The x27 is perfect for this.
The big stuff gets left as logs and I drag it out with the tractor to the wood piles where it gets bucked up and split, mostly with the hydraulic splitter, in the spring. Even then, some of that stuff that splits nice will get split with the X27. It is faster, and fun!