Fiskars X25 vs X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

siltsunrise

Aug 7, 2018
Deutschland
Hi, I've read a number of people's opinions already, but they didn't really specify what they were splitting or how.
I'm 6'3" and generally splitting fairly small rounds (6-10" mostly) on a stump (forget the english word for that).
I just got my hands on the X25 and X27 in a shop today, and after play-swinging (of course, big difference between really splitting something), I found the X27 felt a lot less nimble and precise than the X25. Of course, I was braking at the end of the swing as not to hit the floor, so that made the who swing, esp. with the bigger axe, very awkward and unrealistic.
I can see, I'd have to raise my platform up higher to get a nice perpendicular hit, with the shorter axe, and I get that one has to be careful with the shorter one - not hit your toes. That's all ok with me.
I'm just wondering, since I split some really small stuff sometimes (like 4" stuff - to make fast burning bits), if I can be precise enough with the longer axe, standing that much farther away.
I can see the biggie would be killer if you really want power and are hitting big chunks and want toe security, but like I said, most of my work is smaller and will be on a stump, not the ground.
I just wonder if the X25 will be a lot snappier, in the whole process. Swinging faster, splitting smaller logs faster, handling faster, not having to step back and extra step from the log, etc.
Anyone used either or both and have anything to comment about all that? :)
thanks

Last edited:
I like the x25 for all around splitting. I'm 6' and it just fits me better. The x27 comes out when I've got a knot or just some gnarly stuff to split.

Reactions: siltsunrise
Hi Siltsunrise, I have both and I prefer the x27. Maybe it's my imagination, but the longer swing arc seems to be more powerful. I also like being further away from the business end of the axe. I'm 5'9" and generally use a 12" high round as a block with a tire on it so my splits stay in one place. I split three to three lengths- 12", 16" and 24"- mostly oak. My 11 yo son, who is a bit shy of 5', just started using the X25 this winter and loves it for the same reasons. He was using the X17 last year and early this winter. When he switched to the x25 mid winter, he immediately thought it gave him a more powerful swing and he also liked being further away from the blade.

Hi Siltsunrise, I have both and I prefer the x27. Maybe it's my imagination, but the longer swing arc seems to be more powerful. I also like being further away from the business end of the axe. I'm 5'9" and generally use a 12" high round as a block with a tire on it so my splits stay in one place. I split three to three lengths- 12", 16" and 24"- mostly oak. My 11 yo son, who is a bit shy of 5', just started using the X25 this winter and loves it for the same reasons. He was using the X17 last year and early this winter. When he switched to the x25 mid winter, he immediately thought it gave him a more powerful swing and he also liked being further away from the blade.
Ja, definitely, a longer axe has more momentum, thus more power.
How would you feel using the X27 if you were trying to split something as small as a 4" piece in half, do you imagine? Could you hit it consistently so far away?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prof
Hi, I've read a number of people's opinions already, but they didn't really specify what they were splitting or how.
I'm 6'3" and generally splitting fairly small rounds (6-10" mostly) on a stump (forget the english word for that).
I just got my hands on the X25 and X27 in a shop today, and after play-swinging (of course, big difference between really splitting something), I found the X27 felt a lot less nimble and precise than the X25. Of course, I was braking at the end of the swing as not to hit the floor, so that made the who swing, esp. with the bigger axe, very awkward and unrealistic.
I can see, I'd have to raise my platform up higher to get a nice perpendicular hit, with the shorter axe, and I get that one has to be careful with the shorter one - not hit your toes. That's all ok with me.
I'm just wondering, since I split some really small stuff sometimes (like 4" stuff - to make fast burning bits), if I can be precise enough with the longer axe, standing that much farther away.
I can see the biggie would be killer if you really want power and are hitting big chunks and want toe security, but like I said, most of my work is smaller and will be on a stump, not the ground.
I just wonder if the X25 will be a lot snappier, in the whole process. Swinging faster, splitting smaller logs faster, handling faster, not having to step back and extra step from the log, etc.
Anyone used either or both and have anything to comment about all that? :)
thanks
I recently got an X27. I am 6'4" and like the length of it, fits me well. So far only species I had to get the gas splitter out for was Elm. Pine, oak, walnut, maple, ash been no problem. Prefer using it to the gas splitter.

I'm 6'4 and just started using the x27. I have not had an issue hitting anything regardless of the size of the round. Just like anything, after you swinging it for a bit, your muscle memory will take over and you can hit any spot you want. If it's smaller, I just don't swing it from as high or hard. I sometimes use a split grip (one hand at the end of the handle and the other had halfway up or so). I also have a tire on my splitting stump so I can stand several chunks up and just walk around hitting them. Go with the x27. You'll be glad you have it.

Thanks for the input. Interesting how different people like different things, despite height.
I just grabbed an X25 tonight, after play-swinging them again, thinking I can do a kind of a mini chopping action, kind of from the hip, so to speak, for small and weak stuff, whereas that felt awkward with the X27, which seemed better suited to a full swing. Split grip, I guess I'm talking about. Just nice to be able to do that on the stuff you can tap in half.
Never heard that tire trick. Gonna give it a whirl. Makes easier to put in the wheelbarrow afterwards too, instead of bending over. Me poor back. :)
Funny firewood thing going on here in my village in germany, on a major river. There's a lot of willow, and people really go to town on them for their firewood. Coppicing, but not just little stuff; they take the whole giant limbs, down to the nub. It's a shame, as the poor trees are just repeatedly r*ped, and it looks like hell afterwards for a good while.
Otherwise, german forests are generally very nicely managed and pretty pleasant. I used to live in washington state and still remember the clearcutting from hell. Amazing how much forest cover there is here for having about 6 times the population density of the lower 48, although I wonder if there weren't hilly areas, how it would be. There is plenty of agro-wasteland here, esp. where it's flatter.

Last edited:
So I plowed through a pile with the X25 this morning.
To any tall guys reading this wondering if it's ok: I found it totally fine. Dunno how anyone would find it too short or dangerous, unless you're swinging hard at stuff on the ground. Then I'd take the X27.
On a platform, it's great. I can see I would definitely find the X27 too unwieldy for light splitting. So much faster than a the regular old axe I have been using. Dreamy. Buy both. They'll last until the apocalypse and aren't too pricy.

Reactions: MinM
I know this is an 18 month old thread, but for those of you stumbling upon this thread in the future, the following YouTube video by Fiskars suggests how to decide on a splitting axe.
How to choose the right size Fiskars axe

I'd just take that video as one piece of evidence and not the gospel. I have the old version of the X27 (all black) and tried the video suggestions. At 6'1" my arm was about 4 inches too short for the X27 and I struggled on the lift test. The x25 at 28" is 8" shorter than the x27 at 36", so the arm length seems like a pretty crude measure that'll leave a lot of people like me in the gap. For me, it's working well, but I've never tried the x25 so I can't compare.

I'd take issue with that Fiskars YouTube recommendation. Intuitively that longer axe (X-27) seems the proper length for that man, and the shorter length one (X-25) just seems too short. I'm 6'0" and X-27 seems well suited for me with respect to its weight and length..
Fiskars axes are not unduly heavy. If you are an average to strong man it shouldn't be a problem swinging for prolonged period. Accuracy isn't an issue with longer handled axe. Aim becomes intuitive.
Also, I would recommend against swinging with a fixed grip on both hands (as shown on video) throughout the entire range of your swing. Let your strong hand slide down the handle and meet up with your other hand that is fixed at base of axe as you drop the head. That's why there's a knob at the base of axes - to prevent slippage of hand. If using this technique this probably permits one to use and feel more comfortable with a bit longer length axe handle.
Keep/ go with the longer length for increased momentum and power. You'll get used to it. After years of use a longer axe just feels right. Actually shorter handle axes seem more dangerous - more apt to turn and take spin back around on a bad strike.

I'd take issue with that Fiskars YouTube recommendation. Intuitively that longer axe (X-27) seems the proper length for that man, and the shorter length one (X-25) just seems too short. I'm 6'0" and X-27 seems well suited for me with respect to its weight and length..
Fiskars axes are not unduly heavy. If you are an average to strong man it shouldn't be a problem swinging for prolonged period. Accuracy isn't an issue with longer handled axe. Aim becomes intuitive.
Also, I would recommend against swinging with a fixed grip on both hands (as shown on video) throughout the entire range of your swing. Let your strong hand slide down the handle and meet up with your other hand that is fixed at base of axe as you drop the head. That's why there's a knob at the base of axes - to prevent slippage of hand. If using this technique this probably permits one to use and feel more comfortable with a bit longer length axe handle.
Keep/ go with the longer length for increased momentum and power. You'll get used to it. After years of use a longer axe just feels right. Actually shorter handle axes seem more dangerous - more apt to turn and take spin back around on a bad strike.
Thanks for your response. I'm short (5'3") and the x27 works just fine for me with the technique you describe. A longer handle will always deliver more force--it is up to the user to hit the target. It doesn't take long to learn to hit the mark. BTW, there is no way for me to hit my foot with the x27! I split about 5-7 cords a year by hand and have done so for about 2 decades.

I feel safer with my longer x27 as well. What also puzzled me was it said have the stronger arm/hand at the bottom. For a right hander, that's like swinging a bat left handed. I have my hands, at the end of the swing, like I'd hold a baseball bat - right hand on top and left on bottom. Maybe it's the lack of cricket or baseball in Finland....

An ax is a tool just like a hammer. Different hammers are needed depending on the task at hand. I don’t think one size fits all situations or people; hammers or axes. If you can only get one the I’d choose the fiskars maul. I use it more than the x27.

Reactions: mar13